Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Controlled WH/Mile measurements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a delighted new MYP owner and am absorbing a lot of the info available here and other places on the vehicle. I see a lot of 'what is your WH/mile? I am getting xxx'. Well it seems to me that this has nothing to do with your car, only the way you drive it. Seeing as it it so much fun, I drive mine with a lead foot and the navigation estimate is always low on battery usage. I am guessing someone has run a set of controlled experiments on the impacts of various factors for WH/mile? I do think this should be calculable for highway trips. No brovado allowed, yes I know higher speeds are worst, I want to quantify this (with at least some precision). If this has not been done, I plan to start doing this on trips to my vacation home.

For the same 40 mile stretch, I will take the average 30 min WH/mile from the energy app.
I will run at assorted speeds (65MPH, 70, 75, 80?, 60) this will be probably the biggest factor
I will run with a 72 degree cabin and record outside temp (environmental consumption) I have the heat pump. Rain/snow?
record summer or winter tires
record if my bike hitch rack is attached, this does have a significant impact on drag based on my prior car measurements.
make note of energy app comments on wind/tire pressure, other.

With the above info, you should be able to much more accurately project energy consumption. Did I miss anything? Pointers to someone who has already done this?

There are a few threads on speed / efficiency. I am not into this topic, but try taking a look through these:

Pretty much every "range" thread ends up devolving into efficiency and speed discussion, as well, but I didnt link any of the 100s of those.