Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting from 5 seat to 6 seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that people are ordering the 5 seat rebate qualifying version of the X, I am pretty sure there are those who wanted to have the 6 seat config but could not due to the price variance to keep the tax rebate.

I am just wondering if a 5 seat to 6 seat swap is possible after purchase (later when parts become cheaper possibly or a deal can be had for seats from a wrecked MX). I am assuming it would require the electrical connections be there, software recognition of the seats (auto sense?) and any other trim pieces which are different? Is that even a viable possibility or is the manufacturing of the versions so different that it is not really possible?

Would probably be so pricey… I just called to get a price on the 22” Turbine rims and was told over $9,000! Looking at my Ebay options for aftermarket wheel. I did see a seat set on there, but it’s difficult to tell what quality the seats are in. What kind of accident? Severity of crash?

I was just calling out that as more MX's are on the road that there will be a growing market of available used parts available over time from wrecked/totalled MX's and maybe a deal could be found for the parts needed to convert a 5 seater to a 6 seater when taking into account the 'used parts price' and the resale of the removed 5 seater parts.
The only blocker I was thinking about is if the wiring harness for the power middle row is not wired in and if the computer will or will not 'detect' the seats when plugged in.

I asked Tesla Service if I could PAY to have my 6-seat converted to a 5/7 Seat variety-They replied NO, it's not possible. I really don't like the 6-Seat configuration-Mostly due to the cargo containment failures and the lack of the 6-Seat's captains chairs inability to fold flat or forward but only tilt.

Reactions: coco135
While I'm sure it's doable with money being a unlimited resource the big kicker can be seen in the GVWR changes between the models. For that to be changing it implies some structural elements are actually different between the trim levels and not just interchangeable parts.

The 5 seat config had a GVWR of 6122 lb (937 max payload)
The 6 seat config had a GVWR of 6352 lb (1102 max payload)
The 7 seat config had a GVWR of 6550 lb (1268 max payload)

Reactions: Leifmb
Interesting
While I'm sure it's doable with money being a unlimited resource the big kicker can be seen in the GVWR changes between the models. For that to be changing it implies some structural elements are actually different between the trim levels and not just interchangeable parts.

The 5 seat config had a GVWR of 6122 lb (937 max payload)
The 6 seat config had a GVWR of 6352 lb (1102 max payload)
The 7 seat config had a GVWR of 6550 lb (1268 max payload)
Hmmm, I did not consider a change in the GVWR....interesting. This however make it look like the 7 seater would be the lightest? With all the mechanical systems in place on the "magic carpet" of the 6-seat config, I would think having just one back seat (5 -seater) would make the car lighter and faster. I wonder what the car's overall weight differences would be/are.

From the same thread I pulled those numbers from:

5 seat: 2777 kg (6122 lb) GVWR - 425 kg (937 lb) payload = 2352 kg (5185 lb) curb weight
6 seat: 2881 kg (6532 lb) GVWR - 500 kg (1102 lb) payload = 2381 kg (5249 lb) curb weight
7 seat: 2971 kg (6550 lb) GVWR - 575 kg (1268 lb) payload = 2396 kg (5282 lb) curb weight

I suspect it's nothing major, perhaps just additional structural braces. But are they welded in or bolted? For the sake of assembly you'd think it's bolted and thus possible to swap. But without diving in I fear we'll never know for sure.

I just got a ‘23 X with 5 seat for the rebate, and was looking to replace the 3 seat bench with 2 captain chairs - 4 seat configuration and keep rear cargo area as is. I was told chassis modifications are needed to install the seat tracks, fill/cover floor opening for center bench bracket, add electrical to power the seat motors. Down sides are no on screen seat adjustments, and could void slew of warranty.

5 seats it is.

I'd love to go from 6 seater to 5, but I suspect you'd have to change the physical items, then change the config, so the app & screen know the heated seat locations. Someone would need to do a LOT of research and review parts for each and see what might be needed.

If it was plug'n play with a local vehicle, sign me up.