Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool tips for v9 UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if these are exclusive to v9, or even the model 3, but I found 2 pretty fun things out this morning on the 3:

If you are like me, you are annoyed that there isn't a way to run 'fan only' in the model 3 and avoid heat from coming on when you want to maximize range (This is kind of ingrained in me from having 2 volts with only 10 kwh useable and then 14 kwh on my gen 2 volt...I would run in fan only most days just to keep the window defogged....). There isn't an easy way to do this in the 3 other than dropping the temp to ~ 17C and keeping the fan mode off recirculate. The problem is that when I do want some heat I would have to 'click' the touchscreen a bunch of times to get it up to ~ 20-21C, but then after a few minutes I would want to drop it back down to ~ 17C.....so lots of clicking/interaction with the screen which I didn't like.

Well, this morning I discovered that the temp control can be used as a slider bar to make large changes in temp virtually instantly. Ie, if you press on the temp and just slide your finger horizontally you can go through the whole range of temps in an instant. Maybe other people know this, but I was happy to find it :)

Other 'tip' is that this same 'feature' works from the music icon to 'drag' the music player tab through its 3 screen sizes: 1 row, medium and full screen. I thought that was pretty useful too and worth sharing.

Happy tuesday :)

I learned this somewhere else in the forums (not sure this is quite Canada specific)

However, your comment about to trying to keep heat off is spot on and driving me crazy. Just to be clear how you are dealing with it

* Set climate to 17C
* Are you in auto mode or manual mode? If manual, what fan speed?
* Are you saying recirculate is on or off ?
* Is AC off ?

I've been turning off climate (tip: long hold the climate button on bottom bar turns it off), but then the windows fog up after awhile so I turn it on, then off as soon as it's better. Just keep toggling to keep that range (huge impact too.. 220 vs 170 wh/km)

Reactions: TDog
-Climate is at 17 (or sometimes even 'lo' since it just needs to be below the internal car temp)
-A/C is off (otherwise it will actually cool the car actively, you just want 'fresh' air from outside coming in which will cool the car but not as much as A/C)
-In manual mode, fan speed varies. If the window is clear usually 1 or 2 fan speed keeps it that way and minimizes the rate at which the inside cools off. I didn't think to check if the fan speed can be controlled with the same dragging motion....maybe pressing the fan and dragging up/down will change fan speed. Will test later.
-Recirculate is off (fresh air from outside coming in)

Agreed on the difference in range. Another thing I miss about the Volt (Bolt has this too), is it shows a chart of how much energy went into climate settings. At this time of year in an average day of driving with the Volt I would be using about 11 kwh/day for driving and ~ 2 kwh for heating, so about 20%. Would be nice if the model 3 had a similar display, but it doesn't seem they intend to share this level of detail. Here's what the graphic I'm talking about looks like:

upload_2018-10-30_10-50-24.png

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
For what it's worth, I tried seeing if there was a way to change the fan speed by swiping on the centre display and no dice.

One thing that surprised me is you can't change volume by swiping either. That's one thing that would be pretty useful, bit also maybe the reason they don't allow swiping is that it would be easy to accidentally blast the radio....

I haven't found any other swipe hidden controls, but I haven't really looked exhaustively either.

For what it's worth, I tried seeing if there was a way to change the fan speed by swiping on the centre display and no dice.

One thing that surprised me is you can't change volume by swiping either. That's one thing that would be pretty useful, bit also maybe the reason they don't allow swiping is that it would be easy to accidentally blast the radio....

I haven't found any other swipe hidden controls, but I haven't really looked exhaustively either.

Another swipe gesture is on the new Apps icon in V9, swiping up will bring up your last used app in that menu ie. rear camera or calendar. swiping down will close it without having to reach further.

Reactions: pcons
The TeslaCam has no loop record function? Having to change it everyday becomes a chore!
It does loop the last hour. The corruption issue is another thing. I go about 4 days avg between having to reformat.

I don't know why they only loop 1 hour though. With a 32 gig stick you could have a couple hours from all 8 cameras and still have space...maybe that's the eventual plan.

I was having a similar issue with the dashcam getting corrupted every couple of days. I read somewhere that after you put the car in P but before you leave, press and hold for a couple of seconds on the dashcam icon on the screen. That seems to shut it off. Then leave the car. When you can back in the car, you have to “reactivate” the dashcam by pressing and holding the icon, and you will see the red light come back on. It is a bit of a pain, and I don’t always remember right away to “turn it back on” when I get back in the car, but I have been doing this for the past week, and so far, no dreaded “X”.

I was having a similar issue with the dashcam getting corrupted every couple of days. I read somewhere that after you put the car in P but before you leave, press and hold for a couple of seconds on the dashcam icon on the screen. That seems to shut it off. Then leave the car. When you can back in the car, you have to “reactivate” the dashcam by pressing and holding the icon, and you will see the red light come back on. It is a bit of a pain, and I don’t always remember right away to “turn it back on” when I get back in the car, but I have been doing this for the past week, and so far, no dreaded “X”.

That's insane, should loop itself until you take the USB out after an incident. I hope they update this in a future OTA patch. Easier to just use my phone for now.