Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolers for long weekend/week in trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up going with the RTIC 45 and received it yesterday. It fits perfectly. You can even open it a bit to access the contents without pulling the cooler out of the trunk. I didn't want a super long cooler and from the reviews/tests I saw online, it will keep things cold for a very long time. Being rotomolded, it's a little heavier and more expensive, but it seems very solid.

I have attached some pictures of the fit in my Model 3 trunk...
I was wondering how the Rtic 45 is holding up? I know the thread is older that’s why I ask the question. I was in the market for the same cooler.

I was wondering how the Rtic 45 is holding up? I know the thread is older that’s why I ask the question. I was in the market for the same cooler.
I have had an RTIC45 for about 5 years now and it is holding up great. I ended up having to buy a couple of spare drain plugs after losing mine, but functionally we have had no issues.

That said, if I were specifically looking for something to use in the Model 3, especially if I wanted to access it more than once per trip I would get two or even 3 much smaller coolers.

I have had an RTIC45 for about 5 years now and it is holding up great. I ended up having to buy a couple of spare drain plugs after losing mine, but functionally we have had no issues.

That said, if I were specifically looking for something to use in the Model 3, especially if I wanted to access it more than once per trip I would get two or even 3 much smaller coolers.
Thanks for the feedback! I am a little torn between the 45 and the newer RTIC Ultra-Light 32. Supposedly it's just as good but thinner and lighter, perhaps not as durable but I'm not going to use it for anything more than the back of the car. I am looking for a cooler to hold ice for maybe 3 days to have some good snacks and drink for road trips when supercharging.

Thanks for the feedback! I am a little torn between the 45 and the newer RTIC Ultra-Light 32. Supposedly it's just as good but thinner and lighter, perhaps not as durable but I'm not going to use it for anything more than the back of the car. I am looking for a cooler to hold ice for maybe 3 days to have some good snacks and drink for road trips when supercharging.
Yup. If you intend to regularly access it I would absolutely get something smaller. Even if slightly less efficient, it isn’t diffficult to grab a small bag of ice along the way.

Reactions: Cupcake & Dino
How did you mount a spare tire under the shelf and what kind of spare is it?

I used two Ratchet Tie Down Straps and 3 Inch S Hooks using existing holes in the frame.

To help the install, I put first the spare horizontally on top of a 16 Qt. milk crate just below the speaker shelf
and then I slide the straps under the tire and start to move up the tire little by little on each side.

About the spare, I use I believe a BMW 525 spare tire, that I ordered at the time from BimmerZone.
They had specially fitted spare tires for Tesla S-3-X-Y , but they are no longer available.
May be you could contact them to find the reference of the wheel and order the tire from Tire and Rack.
What I liked was that they included a centering ring something that Modern Spare doesn't have.