Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Noise; Reducing the Model 3 road noise, primarily from tires and louder on rough highway asphalt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compare stiffness OEM toTein-endurapro-plus

There are detailed reviews of these on this forum, people complaining about squeaking noises, dust boot not fitting, bump stops needed to be cut. And all these review videos are by people who stand to profit from selling them. I'd be cautious if I were you. $600 is so cheap, there are bicycle shocks more expensive than that!

There are detailed reviews of these on this forum, people complaining about squeaking noises, dust boot not fitting, bump stops needed to be cut. And all these review videos are by people who stand to profit from selling them. I'd be cautious if I were you. $600 is so cheap, there are bicycle shocks more expensive than that!
Thanks for your help.
I will proceed with caution. And I have a question for you.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've installed many shocks in many vehicles since the 1960's.
I installed high performance Koni's in a sports car I drove in the early 1980's for "street" racing. I also installed "racing tires" on that car, and I custom modified the suspension for oversteer. I've installed many shocks, like Fox shocks in high performance mountain bikes. Yes, very expensive. I've done all the work myself.

The dust boot doesn't fit well, not such a big deal IMHO. As one reviewer said, if they last 50k miles I'm so happy. IMHO, for me, if they last 25k miles and do the trick, I'm very happy.

The bump stops are not required. Cutting them is optional. These Tein have internal bump stops. The external bump stops are back up, so to speak. So I can decide on that when and if the time comes.

Read the review by the guy here too. He goes into great detail.

Most of the experiences didn't have squeaking, that was just one or a few. I think he later found the problem.

I don't want high performance for racing. I want exactly what this cheapo set promises according to rider experiences. Just a somewhat softer ride and some smoothing out of rough asphalt tire vibrations. I measured around 100 hz. Looks like these Tein Shocks can do that. Keeping my stock springs will preserve the ride height.

Shock swaps are not that difficult unless they are McPherson struts and that just requires a spring compression kit. I've done them as well.
If they don't work out well, I can always swap back or swap in another aftermarket set.

I'll consider another name brand if they don't make the suspension stiffer and more prone to more impact and more vibrations.

I'm just getting started in my research of shocks.
If you know of a specific set of shocks made for the Tesla Model 3 that accomplish those goals, I'll have a serious look at them.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll be trying a number of approaches in addition to the many I've already implemented.

What's interesting is that I found pretty good improvement with 10% psi reduction. That gives me some hope and some information.

I'm going to install my last go at sound absorption tomorrow or later this week. I just sound dampened the trunk lid today, in addition to all the other work I've done and reported. I'll install the last set of materials and drive for a while. If it still bothers me enough, I'll dig deeper into shocks...and tires. Shocks make logical sense to me. The wheels are vibrating at a certain resonant frequency on certain surfaces. Lowering pressure changes the natural oscillation resonant frequencies as do shocks. A different shock build would behave differently. Based on the verbal comments the Tein hold some hope in that way.

I do have a question for you, as you seem to be informed.
Tire Rack told me that summer tires vibrate more than all season and recommended a brand new product by Bridgestone for my EV.
I see that COSTO also sells them and a lot cheaper. When I need to replace tires I want to be armed with info.
Do you think that Tire Rack is correct? That my stock OEM summer tires vibrate more than an all season EV specific tire?
I had not heard that previously.

Thank you,
George

Thanks for your help.
I will proceed with caution. And I have a question for you.

I'll consider another name brand if they don't make the suspension stiffer and more prone to more impact and more vibrations.

Tire Rack told me that summer tires vibrate more than all season and recommended a brand new product by Bridgestone for my EV.

Thank you,
George

For shocks, I think the Tein would help. From the videos and reviews people posted, they do seem to ride better. However I'm still a bit skeptical about their build quality and longevity, as Tein's a brand I've known for years making economy level shocks and coilover kits. Koni is usually better regarded and I've had 3 different sets installed in previous cars including a BMW M3, and the ride over smaller bumps and road imperfections were always smoother than OEM.

The new Model 3 Highland uses Koni FSD shocks from what I've heard. I think if you hold out for a few months, maybe people will find out if the Highland shocks would bolt onto your Model 3. That way you would have shocks that have dust boot that fits and bumpstops that is the correct length. The Teins require stock bump stops to be cut short (for compression stroke).

For Summer tires, most definitely Tirerack is correct. Higher performance tires almost always have stiffer sidewall construction to give better rigidity under high cornering loads, that way for OEM street cars with very little built in negative camber in the suspension will maintain better tire contact patch on the road. Plus stiffer sidewalls enhance the steering response and feel as well. Not a great thing if you're looking for comfort however.

A great tire alternative for the Model 3 is the Hankook iON All seasons. There's a huge thread about them on this forum under Driving Dynamics. In fact Tesla in Europe chose it for the Highland tire. They're definitely quieter than almost any tire out there that fits the Model 3, with great efficiency and decent dry/wet braking grip. You'll give up cornering grip in the dry if you're swapping over from a performance summer tires however. There's a summer tire version of the iON tires, and looks like the 20" version is starting to become available in the USA, so if you don't need all seasons and you want more grip while having lower noise and better ride, that's a possibility as well.

Reactions: ss71
For shocks, I think the Tein would help. From the videos and reviews people posted, they do seem to ride better. However I'm still a bit skeptical about their build quality and longevity, as Tein's a brand I've known for years making economy level shocks and coilover kits. Koni is usually better regarded and I've had 3 different sets installed in previous cars including a BMW M3, and the ride over smaller bumps and road imperfections were always smoother than OEM.

The new Model 3 Highland uses Koni FSD shocks from what I've heard. I think if you hold out for a few months, maybe people will find out if the Highland shocks would bolt onto your Model 3. That way you would have shocks that have dust boot that fits and bumpstops that is the correct length. The Teins require stock bump stops to be cut short (for compression stroke).

For Summer tires, most definitely Tirerack is correct. Higher performance tires almost always have stiffer sidewall construction to give better rigidity under high cornering loads, that way for OEM street cars with very little built in negative camber in the suspension will maintain better tire contact patch on the road. Plus stiffer sidewalls enhance the steering response and feel as well. Not a great thing if you're looking for comfort however.

A great tire alternative for the Model 3 is the Hankook iON All seasons. There's a huge thread about them on this forum under Driving Dynamics. In fact Tesla in Europe chose it for the Highland tire. They're definitely quieter than almost any tire out there that fits the Model 3, with great efficiency and decent dry/wet braking grip. You'll give up cornering grip in the dry if you're swapping over from a performance summer tires however. There's a summer tire version of the iON tires, and looks like the 20" version is starting to become available in the USA, so if you don't need all seasons and you want more grip while having lower noise and better ride, that's a possibility as well.
+1 on this post related to tires. I suspect this is your next best option for noise reduction. The iON’s have gotten generally positive reviews in this characteristic and they’ll be the tires I get soon to replace my worn MXM4’s.

The stock tires for the highland are the Michelin e. Primacy. At least in Sweden.

The regular primacy is quieter than the Pilot Sport 4 that are known to be very loud.

So when the reviews says the Highland is much quieter, is the tires doing most of the lift imo

Some reviews even saying the difference is not night and day too.

Reactions: XPsionic
The stock tires for the highland are the Michelin e. Primacy. At least in Sweden.

The regular primacy is quieter than the Pilot Sport 4 that are known to be very loud.

So when the reviews says the Highland is much quieter, is the tires doing most of the lift imo

Some reviews even saying the difference is not night and day too.
It's not just the tires. I'm confident that my Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2s are quieter or at least on par with any summer tire out there, yet the difference was huge. Some part is the glass and some the suspension, which was really nice. But I'm sure there is also someting more.

For sure.
Acoustics glass on the back lowers the overall noise from the outside

The new fabrics inside make the waves bounce less

The new suspension surely helps aswell

But in terms of added isolation I don’t see anything by looking at the parts catalog

I will also wait for used rear windows. I changed mine on the front for 300$ and it made a difference

Reactions: Georgesb2
Wind noise is sometimes very noticeable in my M3 more so than road/tire noise. I think it is a combination of the glass roof and the door windows not sealing as well as they could. I have used a rubber conditioner for the window stripping that seems to help with the windows sealing better.

As a side note I just had Vredestein winter tires mounted and the tires are quieter and cushier.

George, I'm a fairly new MY owner and enjoying your posts very much, thank you. Working on road noise, I just ordered some Second Skin Damplifier Pro sheets (they had a big Black Monday sale) and wondered if it's what you used. I ordered the. After I ordered late last nite in order to get their discount, I now see they have products for Sound Deadening, Sound Blocking, and Sound Absorbing. Mine seems pretty basic and falls into the first category. Is it what you used? Second Skin recommends using all three in succession, did you do that? Thanks, Mike

For sure.

But in terms of added isolation I don’t see anything by looking at the parts catalog

I will also wait for used rear windows. I changed mine on the front for 300$ and it made a difference

I found this video going through some of the differences.

For sure.

Did you change only the front side windows from single to double glass?

Interesting post, thank you :)
Did you make your video ?
I'm assuming the question is directed for me? I've made many YouTube Videos, mostly about wind noises. You can search for my channel using my full name.
I have not made a comprehensive sound reduction video yet, sorry.

The reason that I haven't made a final sound reduction video yet is because I've eliminated virtually all the noise I possibly could. But now there's only a noise/vibration in the entire car that I can't seem to be able to do anything about and I've tried just about everything.

I believe it is suspension related. I also changed the shocks, which has improved the ride but that vibration remains. It's difficult to explain it, what it sounds and feels like. I think it exists in all vehicles but is largely masked by other noises. Now that all the other noises have been reduced in my car, only that pesky vibration remains. It's not tire balance. On smooth roads, it's absolutely quiet. But most roads have undulations, rough, older asphalt being the worst. That causes the suspension to work in a unique manner, very short movements up and down. I'm not talking about bigger bumps and dips. I think the suspension "sings" or oscillates naturally going up and down. It could be the shocks "switching" their resistance from up to down, and it could be the springs simply oscillating as the wheels move rapidly but very little up and down. I really don't know.

I "hear" and feel that vibration even going slowly on my dirt and crushed stone gravel driveway.
The sound and vibration seems to be "everywhere" in the car. Coming from no particular place. I've already done a lot of sound deadening and sound absorbing. It's not "tire noise" per se, anymore. It's more like a very small vibration. But enough that I find to be disturbing.

I do have noise sensitivity, so I'm struggling with how to present my findings in a wrap up video. Others may not have an issue with it. I was intentionally delaying posting any summary comments until I could figure it out more conclusively. My guess at the moment is that the vibration might not bother other people and they might find my car to be rather quiet now.

I've been giving thought about it and I now think the only way to practically reduce this sound/vibration and further reduce general and this specific "noise" is change of wheel size and tires. My performance model 3 has large diameter wheels and very short very stiff tires with virtually no absorption whatsoever (OEM Pirelli P Z). I notice as the tires wear, this issue I feel gets worse quite quickly as wear progresses. (I have 17,200 miles on these original tires) My guess is if we had no rubber, just steel wheels that noise/vibration would be incredibly loud but it would be the type that I have.

Once I get new tires, I'll feel better about wrapping it all up and making a video. I have not decided on going to shorter diameter wheels or not. But I will be going to AS (All Season) tires next. Several are candidates. Such as Hancook Ion AS, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA SPORT AS Ultra High Performance All-Season.

After trying everything other than wheels and tires, I've been experimenting with Apple Airpods Pro 2. They have good noise cancelling. They seem to get rid of what annoys me. Again, at this point it may be a problem that only a few of us have. But I think I have my own unique "final" solution as well.

To be continued ...

Did you have any specific question or comment that I can help with?

Last edited:
Reactions: TomaGo
I'm assuming the question is directed for me? I've made many YouTube Videos, mostly about wind noises. You can search for my channel using my full name.

The reason that I haven't made a final sound reduction video yet is because I've eliminated virtually all the noise I possibly could. But now there's only a noise/vibration in the entire car that I can't seem to be able to do anything about and I've tried just about everything.

I believe it is suspension related. I also changed the shocks, which has improved the ride but that vibration remains. It's difficult to explain it, what it sounds and feels like. I think it exists in all vehicles but is largely masked by other noises. Now that all the other noises have been reduced in my car, only that pesky vibration remains. It's not tire balance. On smooth roads, it's absolutely quiet. But most roads have undulations, rough, older asphalt being the worst. That causes the suspension to work in a unique manner, very short movements up and down. I'm not talking about bigger bumps and dips. I think the suspension "sings" or oscillates naturally going up and down. It could be the shocks "switching" their resistance from up to down, and it could be the springs simply oscillating as the wheels move rapidly but very little up and down. I really don't know.

I "hear" and feel that vibration even going slowly on my dirt and crushed stone gravel driveway.
The sound and vibration seems to be "everywhere" in the car. Coming from no particular place. I've already done a lot of sound deadening and sound absorbing. It's not "tire noise" per se, anymore. It's more like a very small vibration. But enough that I find to be disturbing.

I do have noise sensitivity, so I'm struggling with how to present my findings in a wrap up video. Others may not have an issue with it. I was intentionally delaying posting any summary comments until I could figure it out more conclusively. My guess at the moment is that the vibration might not bother other people and they might find my car to be rather quiet now.

I've been giving thought about it and I now think the only way to practically reduce this sound/vibration and further reduce general and this specific "noise" is change of wheel size and tires. My performance model 3 has large diameter wheels and very short very stiff tires with virtually no absorption whatsoever (OEM Pirelli P Z). I notice as the tires wear, this issue I feel gets worse quite quickly as wear progresses. (I have 17,200 miles on these original tires) My guess is if we had no rubber, just steel wheels that noise/vibration would be incredibly loud but it would be the type that I have.

Once I get new tires, I'll feel better about wrapping it all up and making a video. I have not decided on going to shorter diameter wheels or not. But I will be going to AS (All Season) tires next. Several are candidates. Such as Hancook Ion AS, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA SPORT AS Ultra High Performance All-Season.

After trying everything other than wheels and tires, I've been experimenting with Apple Airpods Pro 2. They have good noise cancelling. They seem to get rid of what annoys me. Again, at this point it may be a problem that only a few of us have. But I think I have my own unique "final" solution as well.

To be continued ...

I think what you're describing is simply a short coming of the Model 3 chassis. Unlike other brands of cars at the $50000+ price range, there's no secondary frame with rubber isolators that connects the suspension arms to the chassis. There's always going to be more noise and sharper vibrations and resonance because of that. On the plus side it does make the car feel sharp and agile, but comfort and noise takes a hit.

Even compared to other EVs, simply driving something like a Model S or I4 or Taycan and you'd feel a huge difference, but Model 3 is what it is for $30-45k, it's fine but not great.

Reactions: Georgesb2
Also adding these rubber bands causes lots of dirt and dust to accumulate on the sill below the door. Not worth the probably .5 decibel (if any) difference you'd get. And say you want to sell the car, you have to remove it and it takes a while to clean up that goo. You maybe better off the pad the inside of the door panels - it will be well hidden and probably make the same difference. The 2022 model 3 is not that noisy. Worse than the model Y, but way better than a brand new Corolla in my experience. Get the quietest tires out there if it bothers you.
Not sure you’d have to remove it to sell if car and noise strips are in good condition. Most people won’t notice or even care.

To be continued ...

Thanks for the detailed posts! I also find myself with AirPod Pro 2’s in my ears all the time and the higher freq noise cancelling is noticeable. I’m usually listening to podcasts anyway.

As for the trunk noise, that is a spring project as you described as I think a weekend’s work will have long-term benefits. However, until then, and for any others who don’t want to pull the interior out of the back of the car, this is what I’m doing at the moment.

We loaded 3 fluffy pillows into the sub-trunk (mine is just a daily driver so it’s basically empty…have bigger cars for Costco & Lowes runs.) and I bought this for $70 on Amazon.

TroyStudio Thick Door Soundproofing Blanket​

1. It’s 3x heavier than any other noise dampening blanket I could find.
2. It’s exactly the width of the M3 cargo area and 2x the length. So if I ever need to fold down my seats, this will go the full width.
3. It has a Velcro strip at one narrow end, so I might try attaching to the back of the second row seats for more sound control.
4. It’s a nice heavy blanket should I get stuck for some reason in the winter.
5. It’s a solid black color and doesn’t look like a moving blanket.
6. Doesn’t take up much space room @ 3/4” thick per layer.

Thank your @Georgesb2 for your answer, i have no specific question but i hat the noise from the road on my Model 3 Performance from 2021.
Tesla fixed the wind noise by changing the window mecanism. Now i think that you are right, the best solution could be the airpod :)
I'll check your videos.

Thanks for the detailed posts! I also find myself with AirPod Pro 2’s in my ears all the time and the higher freq noise cancelling is noticeable. I’m usually listening to podcasts anyway.

As for the trunk noise, that is a spring project as you described as I think a weekend’s work will have long-term benefits. However, until then, and for any others who don’t want to pull the interior out of the back of the car, this is what I’m doing at the moment.

We loaded 3 fluffy pillows into the sub-trunk (mine is just a daily driver so it’s basically empty…have bigger cars for Costco & Lowes runs.) and I bought this for $70 on Amazon.

TroyStudio Thick Door Soundproofing Blanket​

1. It’s 3x heavier than any other noise dampening blanket I could find.
2. It’s exactly the width of the M3 cargo area and 2x the length. So if I ever need to fold down my seats, this will go the full width.
3. It has a Velcro strip at one narrow end, so I might try attaching to the back of the second row seats for more sound control.
4. It’s a nice heavy blanket should I get stuck for some reason in the winter.
5. It’s a solid black color and doesn’t look like a moving blanket.
6. Doesn’t take up much space room @ 3/4” thick per layer.
Patrick, in your opinion how effective was the TroyStudio blanket in reducing road noise? Was it worth the $70 cost?

Patrick, in your opinion how effective was the TroyStudio blanket in reducing road noise? Was it worth the $70 cost?
I have convinced myself it was worth it. Maybe placebo effect, but it’s nice to have. Will also be nice for cold days where I have to sit in the bleachers to watch our kid’s sports team.

The wife bought this one for the Y for $65. Thinner but wider & longer so she gets more side protection for cargo. Doubled over like mine when the seats are up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...dplnk=Y#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Sound Absorbing Curtain, TORIBIO 96" x 54.3" Sound Absorption Blanket, Reduce Noise and Blackout, Sound Absorption Sheet, Recording Studio Acoustical Treatments, 0.4" Thickness, Black​