Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cordless impact wrench recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
Folks,

I've relied extensively on my Snap On 12V cordless impact wrench (CT3110) for ~20 years. Swapping wheels, suspension, engines, trannies, just about everything.
But after 2-3 battery rebuilds, it's approaching the end of the road. I'm shopping for a replacement.

Ideally, the max torque could either be calibrated, or match wheel lug range (100-120 ft/lbs).

What are you using?

Any feedback on Snap On's 14.4 V 3/8" Drive unit:

TIA,
a

You could buy a couple different Milwaukee M18 fuel impact guns with batteries for the same price as that Snap-On...
I sure could. Similarly, I could buy even more of even cheaper brands from all sorts of low places.

The real question is - what do I WANT to buy?
And what are YOU using, and are you happing with your tool of choice?

For what it's worth, I've grabbed the only impact wrench that was in stock @HD to tide me over for a few immediate projects.
That turned out to be Dewalt's 20V 3/8" impact wrench:

So far, it has worked out OK.
It struggled a bit to remove dealer's impact gun installed lug nuts. I had measured those to be tightened to between 180-230 ft/lbs. The DeWalt struggled to remove the higher end torque bolts, but eventually got the most over-torqued one after 3-5 seconds of hammering.
It tightens bolts to ~83 ft/lbs, which is enough to get the wheels on tight. Then you follow-up with a proper torque wrench to the desired setting.

I'm not convinced that I want to stay with this wrench. It's a touch too whimpy.
But it is light, easy to balance, and the LED lights do help to get the work done in margining lighting situations.

I sure could. Similarly, I could buy even more of even cheaper brands from all sorts of low places.

The real question is - what do I WANT to buy?
And what are YOU using, and are you happing with your tool of choice?

For what it's worth, I've grabbed the only impact wrench that was in stock @HD to tide me over for a few immediate projects.
That turned out to be Dewalt's 20V 3/8" impact wrench:

So far, it has worked out OK.
It struggled a bit to remove dealer's impact gun installed lug nuts. I had measured those to be tightened to between 180-230 ft/lbs. The DeWalt struggled to remove the higher end torque bolts, but eventually got the most over-torqued one after 3-5 seconds of hammering.
It tightens bolts to ~83 ft/lbs, which is enough to get the wheels on tight. Then you follow-up with a proper torque wrench to the desired setting.

I'm not convinced that I want to stay with this wrench. It's a touch too whimpy.
But it is light, easy to balance, and the LED lights do help to get the work done in margining lighting situations.
I’ve got a ¼” fuel impact and a ½” fuel impact m18 from Milwaukee and they’ve removed anything I need to use an impact for… anything over 100fl-lbs really should be a half-inch wrench with proper impact sockets.

The ¼” unit can go to about 160ft-lbs, and the ½” is around 1400. My ½” unit has multiple settings and low torque is right around 100, which is what I use to put lugs on my truck before lowering to ground to torque to 145 with my torque wrench. The ¼” will remove lugs from my truck, but why hammer away with a little guy when I can put the ½” on it and remove lugs in about 3 hits on the anvil?

I’d recommend buying into a battery ecosystem with whatever setup you choose to go with. Single battery ecosystem allows you to buy “tool only” and save money. Mind you, I’ve got 7 batteries of varying sizes, but I started with 2…

I’m very happy with all my Milwaukee m18 tools, and I’ve got a bunch of them including a ¼” impact driver and ½” high torque impact gun along with various saws , a drill, and a string trimmer.

The ½” will remove any bolt I’ve tried it on, including some big suckers on tractors. If you’re doing lug nuts, quit monkeying around with ⅜” impacts and use a ½”. Right tool for the job and all that.