Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost/benefit of FSD versus basic autopilot on used S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am keeping my eye out for a great 2020 Model S or sooner, and am confused, sorry, I'm sure this has been addressed a zillion times, but...

Let's say there is a 2020 used S, and lets say it's the basic standard long range version and is selling for let's say $56K. If the same exact car, apples to apples comes with FSD or FSD capable(?) what would I expect to pay for that version, $59K? $66K? I drove in a friends model 3 with FSD and it was worthy of consideration, but at what cost?

J

The general long-standing consensus is that it's only worth a few thousand at best.

To throw a wrench into the long standing consensus is that I'm hearing that Tesla is throwing in free FSD on most if not all of their used Model S P100D cars rendering the resale boost of having FSD to nothing. Not sure if they're doing the same to the other Model S cars in their used inventory.

Even though my EAP and I fight on a daily basis and I cannot fully trust it, I'm a believer in AP/EAP/FSD and FSD in my next Tesla is a must to me.

-Paul

I subscribed to FSD in my 2021 Model 3 Performance and ditched it after a few months. I was so excited to use it and I found it to be terrible. Now that I am looking for a used Plaid, I am looking for one without FSD because I certainly wouldn't pay several thousand more just to have that feature. I guess it depends on how badly you want it and how much it is worth to you.

I have a 2017 that is fully loaded with FSD. I use it all the time and put on 24k miles last year with a 1 hr freeway commute each way, and it is fantastic. I don't know if I got lucky, but the HW 3.0 upgrade with with FSD is amazing. I use it on city streets and definitely for the freeway drive each day. Never had any issues and any passengers that are with me are amazed at what it can do on city streets and on freeway.

Don't know if I have a lucky install but it is pretty amazing. My wife drives a 22 BMW X5 that's loaded, and her advanced autopilot is not even close to Tesla. I'm considering upgrading to a Plaid but it sounds like my older FSD might be better. There are only a few places in weird intersections that I know to keep close to the wheel, but other than that, no braking or steering, just go along for the ride...

Reactions: Yelobird
I subscribed to FSD in my 2021 Model 3 Performance and ditched it after a few months. I was so excited to use it and I found it to be terrible. Now that I am looking for a used Plaid, I am looking for one without FSD because I certainly wouldn't pay several thousand more just to have that feature. I guess it depends on how badly you want it and how much it is worth to you.
Judging a rental FSD 2 years ago for a few months is certainly a validation of capability What could have improved in 20 updates. Lots.lol

I have used it daily since Beta release and I personally would never own another Tesla without it. A user’s experience.

Reactions: Huntfortelsa
Judging a rental FSD 2 years ago for a few months is certainly a validation of capability What could have improved in 20 updates. Lots.lol

I have used it daily since Beta release and I personally would never own another Tesla without it. A user’s experience.
Vote for this as well, find a used Tesla with FSD either private party or a CPO and you’re good to go- doesn’t add to resale but personally I wouldn’t buy one without it. People talk about gas savings but on a 100k car you’re not saving much. The whole point of owning a Tesla is autonomous driving and none of the other cars come even close to what Tesla has to offer in FSD.

Tesla's current state of AP other than predictable lane keeping is tragic, lotsa talent fled after Elon went cuckoo, add unpredictable chest crushing phantom braking at highway speeds. My 2015 AP1 did better with turn stalk lane changing than my 2022 M3LR which tried to ditch me with "collision avoidance" maneuver consisting of hard swerve towards a ditch in bright daylight at 20mph on my paved and side markered residential street.

My general rule of thumb is that FSD adds $5k and EAP adds $2k to used car market value. If I see a car listed on Tesla for $50k with FSD, an equivalent car elsewhere without FSD should be listed for $45k.

People aren't willing to pay much for EAP or FSD right now, but I expect the FSD technology to be complete in the next 2-3 years, by which point FSD will be worth $20k and EAP worth $8k or so.

Reactions: Yelobird