Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of model 3 ownership first 100k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPad mini 2 is really old. It still works great.
My Mac computer is 2011 version and it still works fantastic.

BTW, how much RAM does our car computer have?

I was just saying screen as an example. There's no reason to believe the screen would fail, my point was just that if parts that we have, to this point, considered to be manufacturing/QC defects actually fail out of warranty, it would dampen the maintenance savings. Replacing a door handle here, headlamp there, COULD add up.

Not saying there's any reason to believe that will be the case and hopefully it won't. We just don't have concrete data on Model 3 yet that far out.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
$425 seems a lot for your 25k service... I just did a service at ~20k on my LR RWD (just one year old) and they checked tires, air filter, and brake fluid. Tires and brake fluid are still good. Air filter change is $17 if I remember well. Tire rotation is $65. But I didn’t pay anything because the West Palm Beach SC had a computer issue that day lol.

I would like to do a Cost of ownership at 500,000 miles and 1 Million miles.

Also, maybe using my own miles at 200K miles and earning $$$$ for the rest of the 800K miles on the Tesla Network Ride Share.

So in short, I personally get a new car every 200K miles and earn it ALL back by loaning it out for the balance of the useful life of the car.

sounds like a FREE car after expense/income tax/cleaning/insurance etc....

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
$425 seems a lot for your 25k service... I just did a service at ~20k on my LR RWD (just one year old) and they checked tires, air filter, and brake fluid. Tires and brake fluid are still good. Air filter change is $17 if I remember well. Tire rotation is $65. But I didn’t pay anything because the West Palm Beach SC had a computer issue that day lol.

Think she had the 25K service done before they basically did away with the scheduled services...

I would like to do a Cost of ownership at 500,000 miles and 1 Million miles.

Also, maybe using my own miles at 200K miles and earning $$$$ for the rest of the 800K miles on the Tesla Network Ride Share.

So in short, I personally get a new car every 200K miles and earn it ALL back by loaning it out for the balance of the useful life of the car.

sounds like a FREE car after expense/income tax/cleaning/insurance etc....

Whoa whoa it's one thing to look to the future but another entirely to start factoring Tesla Network into TCO calculations. :p

Reactions: ElectricLee
Brakes also need replacing on ICE every 30K miles or 3 years in my family's case.
They cost $300 to $700.
on Tesla, they last for the life of the vehicle.

Eh? I drove my Lexus for 11 years, about 80k miles, and needed to do the brakes once (pads only, rotors were still fine when I sold it).

Depends entirely on the car, and how you drive it.... but for most cars if you're wearing out the actual brakes (not the fluid) in 30k miles you're driving it wrong.

Eh? I drove my Lexus for 11 years, about 80k miles, and needed to do the brakes once (pads only, rotors were still fine when I sold it).

Depends entirely on the car, and how you drive it.... but for most cars if you're wearing out the actual brakes (not the fluid) in 30k miles you're driving it wrong.

Depends what you consider "driving wrong." If you consider mostly city driving and stop and go traffic as driving wrong, then I agree - but to accuse someone of using their brakes to stop their car is a stretch.

I bought my first car when I lived in NYC. My car was garaged all week and I only used the car on weekends on trips. 95%+ of my driving was on expressways. When my car had 30,000 miles, the brakes were virtually new. I now live in L.A. and my last car averaged lifetime 18 mph with the bulk of my driving in the city (and most of the freeway driving not much faster than city driving). While the brakes did last, they were close to needing new pads when my lease was up with 30k on the odometer.

Recommended Maintenance Service

Cabin Air Filter
Your Tesla is equipped with an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter
If your Tesla is equipped with a HEPA filter, Tesla recommends replacing it every 3 years.

Tire Rotation, Balance and Wheel Alignment
Tesla recommends checking your tires every 10,000-12,000 miles for rotating, balancing and aligning needs. Aggressive driving can lead to premature tire wear and may require more frequent tire service. Unbalanced and misaligned wheels affect handling, tire life and steering components. Refer to tire manufacturer's owner manuals and warranty documentation for additional details.

Brake Fluid Test
Tesla recommends testing brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.

Air Conditioning Service
An air conditioning service replaces the desiccant to help the longevity and efficiency of the air conditioning system. Tesla recommends an air conditioning service every 2 years for Model S, every 4 years for Model X and every 6 years for Model 3.

Winter Care
Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions.

Car Maintenance

The newer vehicles use e- differential. And they use brakes to make differential effect by grabbing inner wheel brakes when turning.
Also stabilization system uses brakes. And BMW is notorious for brake wear. But their stopping power is top notch.

I would like the source of your information that coolant replacements have been taken out of the 3's maintenance. While the website doesn't say to do a coolant replacement/check, it also doesn't say to ignore it, but it does say to follow the manual. While I agree Tesla isn't the best at updating everything, an official source saying it's not needed would be great.
I didn’t keep a copy but I picked up a flyer from SC with a summary of maintenance for each model. Model 3 switched to condition based maintenance rather than the time/miles model.