Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to charge on a public level 2 charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to post two, consider the cost of gas in comparison.

I can charge at my works charge point system and for 4 hours at 7kwh, it is $3 which equates to about $0.03/mi. Charging at home is about $0.08-0.11/mile past what solar generates. For me, once I’m over my net annual production, I charge mostly at work as it is 1/3 the cost.

I have Charge Point chargers at my work and it costs about .05 cents a mile to charge. Is this considered a good rate?
I'd be surprised if ChargePoint is actually charging per mile. Have you done some math before asking this question? I mean, how do they know if the kwh they delivered is going into a Model X or a short range model 3?

Reactions: AlexHung
I'd be surprised if ChargePoint is actually charging per mile. Have you done some math before asking this question? I mean, how do they know if the kwh they delivered is going into a Model X or a short range model 3?
I’m just doing my math base off this.

Attachments

• DCD4803D-AC97-41E5-8932-F658CEE35FBD.jpeg
    DCD4803D-AC97-41E5-8932-F658CEE35FBD.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
So... assuming its 0.05 per mile(which looks correct per your picture), that's 0.20/kwh, assuming 250wh/mi or thereabouts. A quick search of average los angeles electricity rates shows a kwh goes for around 0.13 residential or commercial. The average residential rate in all of CA is around 0.15.

So I'd say that while its still a much better rate than an ICE vehicle, its probably NOT a good rate for charging a car in CA. Notably it would be a good rate in maybe a third of the country with electric rates over 0.20/kwh.