Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR LFP, would you get a residence charger in my case?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live 15 min away from the nearest V4 Supercharger, and the rate is the same as what my residence 22KW charger would cost me.

I can charge 2 times a week at work for 15% cheaper than what my residence charge rate would cost me.
My commute is 130 KM (80 miles) per day, including return, 2 times a week.

In the week-end I have 1-2 short 40 km trips (25 miles) and in the case the of longer trips I would supercharge so I admit it might take more planning and thinking ahead for trips.

Does it make sense to get a residential supercharger in my case?
It will cost me 300 EUR per year only to have it + whatever I charge at a rate similar to the nearby V4 supercharger.

Reactions: GSP
Having a charger at home charger gives you the flexibility of charging any time. In addition, you could schedule charging when the electricity rate is lower, usually at the middle of the night, depending on your electricity plan and provider.

Reactions: Pianewman
You could certainly make the Supercharger work. It's a question of convenience. It is VERY convenient to be able to come home from a hard day's night working over a hot keyboard, plug in, and know the car will be ready to go in the morning. Since you live where they have cold winter weather, it's also nice to precondition the car on wall power so it's not frigid when you leave in the morning.

You want to think about the unusual cases, like going out after work with friends, then realizing at 11PM that you need to charge to get through tomorrow's driving and being forced to make a 20min pit stop at the SC before going home.

Only you can really answer how much that means to you. Of course, you can always try the Supercharger solution first, then install the home EVSE if you find it too big a nuisance.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtae07
Forgot about this topic, but thought it might prove useful to people with the same question.
I'm both blessed and cursed, blessed I can charge at work for 20% less and cursed that residence is a little more expensive than a local supercharger, wile being a L2 charger.
So far, 1 month later and 3000 KM later I'm not worried about range anxiety and battery drain is quite slow at 1% per day with sentry off or 4-5% with sentry on. Reaching with 80% at home every time, I can have it just sit there and not worry it sits at 100%, if I had a residence charger I'm sure I would not charge to 100% each day, and rather 1/week which is what I do at work.

Reactions: GSP and davewill
I'm curious--why the extra charge just to have the charger?
Good question.
So how it works is you pay a yearly fee to use the already installed charger on your parking space, and on top of that you pay higher renting cost because the current parking space in the same building has no charger, therefore it is considered cheaper. And then you pay a charging fee that is higher than a Tesla Supercharger but lower than a public charger. Therefore it costs 300 EUR only to have it and then you pay for charging, so if I weren't charging at work, maybe I'd consider it.

This is how Switzerland affords to be so beautiful.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Good question.
So how it works is you pay a yearly fee to use the already installed charger on your parking space, and on top of that you pay higher renting cost because the current parking space in the same building has no charger, therefore it is considered cheaper. And then you pay a charging fee that is higher than a Tesla Supercharger but lower than a public charger. Therefore it costs 300 EUR only to have it and then you pay for charging, so if I weren't charging at work, maybe I'd consider it.

This is how Switzerland affords to be so beautiful.
That is an interesting situation. I really like the convenience of home charging, but in your situation I am not sure I would pay for it. Many condo or apartment dwellers don't have an option to charge at home. It is great you have such an option, even though it is expensive.

22 kW is total overkill for home charing. 7 kW is plenty for most people's usage, and even 3 kW would work great for your situation. Lower power would reduce the cost of the EVSE install considerably. Perhaps it would be worth it to advocate for a lower power charger option, perhaps changing the standard EVSE install to 11 kW or 7 kW.

GSP

Reactions: Rocky_H and gtae07
22 kW is total overkill for home charing. 7 kW is plenty for most people's usage, and even 3 kW would work great for your situation. Lower power would reduce the cost of the EVSE install considerably. Perhaps it would be worth it to advocate for a lower power charger option, perhaps changing the standard EVSE install to 11 kW or 7 kW.
I'm with you. Unless I'm in a hurry, I charge at the lowest speed needed, and it's kind of a fun mini-game to have my last meeting end when it's 100% ready to go.
I did scout for normal power plugs in the parking area of the residence, and they are conveniently (for the landlord) missing from normal parking spaces, so that the higher cost parking is the only option to charge.