Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Countersteer Model 3 AP smooths the corners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested to know if others have had my experience. My FSD 2019 M3 is a great car. Probably the greatest car ever built in this class and price range. The FSD driving experience is evolving, and rapidly as of late. I have noticed that when the AP is enabled the cornering is not anticipatory, but reactionary. It does not anticipate the degree of cornering that a human driver does regularly. It is always late at the top of the turn, trying to make up for it in the middle, and uncomfortable as it adjusts through the end of the turn. But if I countersteer at the top of the turn, the AP resists this, and takes the corner a bit early, resulting in a much smoother travel experience through the cornering. If I try and correct the AP by moving the steering wheel in the direction of the turn, the resistance creates an even longer cornering delay.

What are others' experiences with this?

I fundamentally do not understand your statement about you being able to turn the wheel, and it reacting to that.

If I moved it enough to change course even slightly, it cancels AutoSteer. There is an absolutely tiny amount of play it allows, but it's basically imperceptible to me even knowing it's there.

But yes. AP for me is highly reactionary and is an awkward navigator.

I fundamentally do not understand your statement about you being able to turn the wheel, and it reacting to that.

If I moved it enough to change course even slightly, it cancels AutoSteer. There is an absolutely tiny amount of play it allows, but it's basically imperceptible to me even knowing it's there.

But yes. AP for me is highly reactionary and is an awkward navigator.

I am referring to a level of counter steer pressure just under the threshold of canceling AP.