Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Model S making noises Tesla's Response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I hit 43000 miles and I started hearing noises

High pitched whine from the rear
Loud roar when i accelerated and when the car was at 70 plus
And the wind noise from the drivers window was getting to be too much

I went to Americas tire to rotate my tires, but they were too worn down to rotate and I opted to replace with goodyears again.

Noises still there when driving

Called Tesla for an appointment. They wanted me to come in prior to setting one up to go on a test drive with a technician.
I did and the tech said I needed a drive unit, drivers quarter window replacement and high voltage cables for the high pitch whine.
Dropped car off and got a 85 with 21 inch rims as my loaner. That car was even louder and more uncomfortable than mine. which made me wonder if anything would be done.

One day later I got the call that the car was ready. Tesla drove the car to me and picked up the loaner.

All I could say is wow! The car drove amazing. I looked over the bill and called the tech to explain what was done.
My high pitch whine was caused by corroded connections, Rust. They had to replace everything that was effected up to the battery. Drive inverter to generation 2 to high voltage junction box and complete harness assembly.

The drive unit was replaced, with all the hardware and fluids that go with it. Firmware updated for newer unit. Software updated to 8.1. Found a rocker panel that was not attached correctly and replaced. License plate bulb was out and found the bulb assemble was not working correctly and replace both with new. drivers door window noise took the longest to diagnose. They ended up replacing the whole drivers door rubber seal to eliminate the wind noise. The quarter window seal did not do the trick. Safety Check, Full charge and a full interior and exterior wash and detail, and replaced my remote batteries again. 6 pages of work and repairs.

And in one day, I was impressed but the best part is the car drives amazing. Really quiet and so much better than before. Service at Van Nuys is off the hook.

It's a shame they didn't catch any of those problems while certifying that CPO. But I'm glad to hear they took care of you.

Do you know where this CPO picked up most of its miles? I'm curious if the corrosion came from road salt, or maybe coastal air, or some other factor.

i bought the car with 17k on the clock
I heard the whining sound since day one but they said all electric cars make some type of sounds and that it was normal
It just got louder

The car was listed in New York when I pushed the buy button. but it was all over the place and took 6 weeks to get to Van Nuys.

Car drives amazing with an updated drivetrain