Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Out of State Delivery Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I’ve looked around the forum and I don’t see anyone else having had this issue. Hopefully I didn’t just miss it.

I have put down a deposit for a CPO in Seattle, Washington. The car is scheduled for delivery on Monday, all is well there. My issue is that my co-signer for my loan cannot be there for pickup. According to my bank, as well as the local service center, that’s not an issue, however the delivery advisor is telling me that the co-signer has to be there due to him being listed on the title. She said it was due to registration laws in Washington that he has to be there to sign with me, but the car itself isn’t being registered in Virginia. In Virginia, only one person on the title has to be there to sign for the delivery. I am awaiting a call back to see what information she has gotten from the Washington service center as far as it goes, but if they need him to sign I am out of luck. He can’t sign as he is going to be out of country.

My bank suggested getting a notarized power of attorney signed before heading up to go get it. That’s totally doable for us, but I wanted to ask everyone here if they had any suggestions.

I am super excited about getting a Tesla, it’s my first Tesla. But as many people have said before, my experience so far going back and forth with Tesla has been a nightmare. It’s taken a while to get responses from them when I send emails, now I’m on my second/third delivery manager helping me.

Any help is much appreciated!

So, I’ve looked around the forum and I don’t see anyone else having had this issue. Hopefully I didn’t just miss it.

I have put down a deposit for a CPO in Seattle, Washington. The car is scheduled for delivery on Monday, all is well there. My issue is that my co-signer for my loan cannot be there for pickup. According to my bank, as well as the local service center, that’s not an issue, however the delivery advisor is telling me that the co-signer has to be there due to him being listed on the title. She said it was due to registration laws in Washington that he has to be there to sign with me, but the car itself isn’t being registered in Virginia. In Virginia, only one person on the title has to be there to sign for the delivery. I am awaiting a call back to see what information she has gotten from the Washington service center as far as it goes, but if they need him to sign I am out of luck. He can’t sign as he is going to be out of country.

My bank suggested getting a notarized power of attorney signed before heading up to go get it. That’s totally doable for us, but I wanted to ask everyone here if they had any suggestions.

I am super excited about getting a Tesla, it’s my first Tesla. But as many people have said before, my experience so far going back and forth with Tesla has been a nightmare. It’s taken a while to get responses from them when I send emails, now I’m on my second/third delivery manager helping me.

Any help is much appreciated!

Could you not get a limited power of attorney for this? That legally makes you the representative of the other party for the transaction. If this is good for the sale of a house, it should be good for a car loan...

Could you not get a limited power of attorney for this? That legally makes you the representative of the other party for the transaction. If this is good for the sale of a house, it should be good for a car loan...
That’s what I’m going to do. I had asked the advisor if that was a viable option and she still has yet to get back to me from 8 hours now. I’m just going to assume that’ll work and go with it, because there’s no legal reason why it wouldn’t be.

That’s what I’m going to do. I had asked the advisor if that was a viable option and she still has yet to get back to me from 8 hours now. I’m just going to assume that’ll work and go with it, because there’s no legal reason why it wouldn’t be.

If you have a valid power of attorney, I can't possibly see how this could be a problem because at that point your signature carries the same authority as the person who gave you the Power of Attorney for the declared transaction.

Houses are bought and sold this way every day.

There is a specific way you are supposed to sign for the other person when invoking Power of Attorney:

End the signature by indicating that you’re acting under power of attorney. You can do this in one of several ways. After your name, you can write in the words “agent,” “attorney in fact,” “power of attorney” or simply, “POA.” Your final signature should read similar to "Sally Smith, by Samuel Smith, power of attorney."

How to Properly Sign a Power of Attorney Document for Someone

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
If you have a valid power of attorney, I can't possibly see how this could be a problem because at that point your signature carries the same authority as the person who gave you the Power of Attorney for the declared transaction.

Houses are bought and sold this way every day.

There is a specific way you are supposed to sign for the other person when invoking Power of Attorney:

End the signature by indicating that you’re acting under power of attorney. You can do this in one of several ways. After your name, you can write in the words “agent,” “attorney in fact,” “power of attorney” or simply, “POA.” Your final signature should read similar to "Sally Smith, by Samuel Smith, power of attorney."

How to Properly Sign a Power of Attorney Document for Someone
That is super helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this. While I understand now that this is the legal and correct way to go about getting this taken care of, I can’t help but feel like they may still contest it when I go to pick up the vehicle. Nonetheless, this is the path I am going to take.

You have been mighty helpful! Thanks!

That is super helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this. While I understand now that this is the legal and correct way to go about getting this taken care of, I can’t help but feel like they may still contest it when I go to pick up the vehicle. Nonetheless, this is the path I am going to take.

IF you search power of attorney, you will see that Tesla has indeed not allowed the POA. So good luck.

Definitely make sure they will honor the POA before you prepare the paperwork to invoke it!

All I know is they allow the sale of multi-million $ transactions with a proper POA.