Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO out of state question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - sorry if this has been addressed in this forum before but I've looked a bit and can't find the answer to my question.

Basically I live in NY, on the endless M3 waiting list but now am having second thoughts about the M3, thinking CPO Model S instead. There are a few on the Tesla website that look pretty good in the somewhat blurry pictures and are in the right price range, but are in DC. The CPO advisor says they cannot sell the car to me in NY unless I have another address to which I can register the car -- apparently they used to ship the cars wherever they need to go to avoid these state rules but now with the M3 push there is zero slack in terms of transport.

Has anyone figured out a way around this? I'm happy to go to DC and get the car (and actually would prefer it so I can actually see the car before handing all the $ over) but I've gotten the impression that will not help.

They are giving you bad information. You can buy the CPO cars anywhere, you just have to go pick it up at that location, or arrange your own shipping from that location. Talk to a different advisor or a manager.

If you go to pick it up, make sure you get the proper temp tags (and insurance) to drive it back.

Reactions: P85_DA
Find out exactly which SC the car is located at and give them a call directly. They'll be more helpful. Tesla will not move the car to your local SC, so maybe that's what they're talking about. If they're saying you can't get it registered in DC, then I think that's a bit weird. I'm not sure what DC's rules are for temp tags, but you could always arrange temp tags for your own state ahead of time.
I just bought my used MS from NY and drove it back to Maryland. I still have the NY temp tags on it, but I have an appointment to get inspected and tagged today.

thanks all much appreciated. I'll call Tyson's corner later today and see what the story is. It just seems to be a very weird story, wonder whether the CPO advisor is just trying to protect her own commission (do they even work on commission?).

Hi, just make sure you see it first before buying it. Tesla has recently had a LOT of issues with their CPO "no more certified" program. Maybe they should call it the PO program now....

New CPO (PO) Program : Does it mean if there is a dent in the pictures they send, it will not be fixed when the car is delivered to you? Anything they fix before they deliver the car? Is this an As-IS car? What is the recent experiance?

New CPO (PO) Program : Does it mean if there is a dent in the pictures they send, it will not be fixed when the car is delivered to you? Anything they fix before they deliver the car? Is this an As-IS car? What is the recent experiance?

Yes, it is exactly like you're saying: cars are sold as is and most of them are loaner returns so not in great shape. Just make sure you check out the pictures in detail because the deposit is non refundable

Yes, it is exactly like you're saying: cars are sold as is and most of them are loaner returns so not in great shape. Just make sure you check out the pictures in detail because the deposit is non refundable

Pictures don't tell everything, when you go for delivery, I hope you can reject the delivery of the car? If out of state, this add lot of complexity to the buying. Not sure why Tesla doing this bad? Here is some email I got from Tesla when I inquuired. This look like not an easy process.

Please read our Frequently Asked Questions about Tesla’s Used Vehicles. Below is select information about Tesla’s Used Vehicles.

Vehicle Order
Tesla’s Used Vehicle Inventory sells fast! If you would like to place an order deposit to reserve a Tesla, you can visit the Used Vehicle Inventory page, sort local cars by zip code, and click the “Buy” button on the website. Request to see actual photos of the vehicle before you place a deposit because the deposit is non-refundable.

Used Teslas are purchased sight unseen until delivery day. Used Teslas are not available to preview or for test drives. To experience a Tesla, schedule a test drive in a New vehicle at your local Tesla store.

Vehicle Inspection
Every Used Tesla is put through a 70-point mechanical inspection. Our Used Teslas must pass a multipoint inspection and road functionality test. Tesla does not cosmetically recondition its Used vehicles.

Vehicle Warranty
After this process, all vehicles less than 4 years old/50k miles receive a fresh 4-year/50k miles warranty, just like a brand new Tesla, that starts the day and miles you drive it home (i.e. 31k miles Used would be warrantied until 81k miles or four years). Vehicles over 4 years old or over 50k miles, or both, receive a 2-year/up to 100k miles warranty.

Vehicle Delivery
Used Teslas are available for local pick-up at the service center nearest their current location. You must pick up your car within seven days of placing an order. Transportation is not available.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Pictures don't tell everything, when you go for delivery, I hope you can reject the delivery of the car? If out of state, this add lot of complexity to the buying. Not sure why Tesla doing this bad? Here is some email I got from Tesla when I inquuired. This look like not an easy process.

Please read our Frequently Asked Questions about Tesla’s Used Vehicles. Below is select information about Tesla’s Used Vehicles.

Vehicle Order
Tesla’s Used Vehicle Inventory sells fast! If you would like to place an order deposit to reserve a Tesla, you can visit the Used Vehicle Inventory page, sort local cars by zip code, and click the “Buy” button on the website. Request to see actual photos of the vehicle before you place a deposit because the deposit is non-refundable.

Used Teslas are purchased sight unseen until delivery day. Used Teslas are not available to preview or for test drives. To experience a Tesla, schedule a test drive in a New vehicle at your local Tesla store.

Vehicle Inspection
Every Used Tesla is put through a 70-point mechanical inspection. Our Used Teslas must pass a multipoint inspection and road functionality test. Tesla does not cosmetically recondition its Used vehicles.

Vehicle Warranty
After this process, all vehicles less than 4 years old/50k miles receive a fresh 4-year/50k miles warranty, just like a brand new Tesla, that starts the day and miles you drive it home (i.e. 31k miles Used would be warrantied until 81k miles or four years). Vehicles over 4 years old or over 50k miles, or both, receive a 2-year/up to 100k miles warranty.

Vehicle Delivery
Used Teslas are available for local pick-up at the service center nearest their current location. You must pick up your car within seven days of placing an order. Transportation is not available.

Basically tesla is doing this because they can. What they are not realizing is that they are hurting and potentially burning and a lot of its early adopters/customers (people who buy CPOs are mostly existing owners of a model s I've heard - no official statistics on that subject however). In my opinion they are taking their existing customers for granted.

The deposit is non-refundable so they could technically refuse to reimburse you... but it will be up to them.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Basically tesla is doing this because they can. What they are not realizing is that they are hurting and potentially burning and a lot of its early adopters/customers (people who buy CPOs are mostly existing owners of a model s I've heard - no official statistics on that subject however). In my opinion they are taking their existing customers for granted.

The deposit is non-refundable so they could technically refuse to reimburse you... but it will be up to them.

Absolutely agree.

This is the shadiest way I have ever seen cars being sold. We are in that segment you describe and so disappointed with how they are selling these cars. They've really set the low bar for the whole auto industry on how awfully to treat a CPO customer.

Oh so you want to buy a CPO Tesla?
  • Sorry, no test drive. You should just buy the car first.
  • Sorry, no you can't see it in person. What, have you not seen a Tesla before?
  • Sorry, no you can;t test drive the car. Go test drive a brand new car so you can imagine how this car was when it was new.
  • Sorry, no you can't see the car's service history. That's a level above Top Secret.
  • Sorry, you can't see actual photos of the car on the car listing. Why can't you instead enjoy the stock photos of a car?
  • Sorry, we give no guarantee about the condition of the car. Did you think you are buying a CPO Toyota?
  • Sorry, we don't refurbishe used cars we sell. That's what Kia does and we are not Kia.
But hey, please give us your credit card number for the sight unseen car so we can charge a NON REFUNDABLE deposit.

Treating customers in a reasonable way should be a core value of the company and not something you abdicate if you can get away with it. At the least, Tesla should offer the same peace of mind and quality product a customer would receive at a Toyota or Honda dealership when buying a CPO car.

I love Tesla but this CPO mess is such a horrible way to treat customers and I hope they fix this soon.

Absolutely agree.

This is the shadiest way I have ever seen cars being sold. We are in that segment you describe and so disappointed with how they are selling these cars. They've really set the low bar for the whole auto industry on how awfully to treat a CPO customer.

Oh so you want to buy a CPO Tesla?
  • Sorry, no test drive. You should just buy the car first.
  • Sorry, no you can't see it in person. What, have you not seen a Tesla before?
  • Sorry, no you can;t test drive the car. Go test drive a brand new car so you can imagine how this car was when it was new.
  • Sorry, no you can't see the car's service history. That's a level above Top Secret.
  • Sorry, you can't see actual photos of the car on the car listing. Why can't you instead enjoy the stock photos of a car?
  • Sorry, we give no guarantee about the condition of the car. Did you think you are buying a CPO Toyota?
  • Sorry, we don't refurbishe used cars we sell. That's what Kia does and we are not Kia.
But hey, please give us your credit card number for the sight unseen car so we can charge a NON REFUNDABLE deposit.

Treating customers in a reasonable way should be a core value of the company and not something you abdicate if you can get away with it. At the least, Tesla should offer the same peace of mind and quality product a customer would receive at a Toyota or Honda dealership when buying a CPO car.

I love Tesla but this CPO mess is such a horrible way to treat customers and I hope they fix this soon.

Love your list here is more.
  • Sorry, you in New York, you first pay 2500 deposit, come to LA within 7 days, to pick up your car. If you don't show up, you loose your deposit. Everything is online, so no need to talk. We cannot arrange transport of the car to your local Tesla Service center. But you can do it your self once you accept delivery.
  • Sorry, we don't answer the phone, email only, these cars are going fast. We will send you few pictures of couple of cars, pick one. Cars are sold fast so put your deposit down if you like one. If the car has body damage we won't fix, it is your problem.
If you buy out of state, this can become a night mare. So I may try local listings only.