Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO prices coming down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my P85D CPO for low 60s. It is fully loaded with every option with 33k on the odo. My car was a unicorn. It was discounted $19,100 from its original listing price.

I looked at 5 or 6 other P85Ds and they were all in pretty bad shape. 5" scratch on the front spoiler, pretty large door dings, major curb rash, seat bolster had the leather worn off, water damage in the frunk, and one even had a puncture hole through the rear bumper.

The reason you're seeing those "cheap" P85Ds is because they are rough just like cellphonechris said.

I feel confident about the entire experience this far. Reading the purchase agreement shows that Tesla is a reputable company. Arbitration is paid for by Tesla and the venue is at the customer's location.

Now, if there is any undisclosed damage or smells, then I'll address it at delivery.

It’s impossible to say if prices are down because you can’t see condition. I just purchased a CPO and had to go through tons of pictures. There are some what look like great prices but because they don’t returb you don’t know until you see pictures.

It’s impossible to say if prices are down because you can’t see condition. I just purchased a CPO and had to go through tons of pictures. There are some what look like great prices but because they don’t returb you don’t know until you see pictures.
The problem is insufficient volumes or even information to build up a database per condition. Other used cars also have variance in quality but with volume you can build a distribution, a price range per condition. KBB tries to gather such info. I did a quick search for what I thought would be most sold used Tesla, 2015 S85D in Silicon Valley and got these private sale ranges:
Excellent Condition - $55.9K to $62.4K, median $59.2K
Very Good Condition - $54.5 tp $60.9K, median $57.7K
Good Condition - $52.9K to $59.3K, median $56.1K
Fair Condition - $50.5 to $56.7K, median $53.6K

They define the conditions like this:
kbb-conditions.png

The % add up to 98, so I guess there are 2% of cars sold worse than fair or better than Excellent (immaculate?).

Maybe Tesla should define some CPO conditions and post them, save buyers and their CPO advisers a bunch of work, and possible disappointments.