Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inoperable Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My poor 2015 Model S P85D has been in the SF SC for a month and today they told me that it would need a part that is no longer being produced and cannot be sourced. The battery management system board.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Anyone have advice selling an inoperable Tesla if not trading in for another Tesla?

Thanks.

My poor 2015 Model S P85D has been in the SF SC for a month and today they told me that it would need a part that is no longer being produced and cannot be sourced. The battery management system board.

Anyone have advice selling an inoperable Tesla if not trading in for another Tesla?

Thanks.
What is specific part number is Tesla not able to source?

Thanks.
Interesting that the TSC narrowed down to a BMS board. Usually they don't provide that level of diagnostics, just simply that you need a replacement pack. What alerts did you get?

Reactions: David Harvey

Thanks.
Sent you PM

Thanks.

This is not just a random post, but rather a deliberate attempt to spread false information. The service centers do not replace the "battery management system board".

This is not just a random post, but rather a deliberate attempt to spread false information. The service centers do not replace the "battery management system board".
I’m sorry but that’s just not true. I have loved my car for the past 9 years and desperately wanted it to keep going. Here’s my receipt:
IMG_0091.png

I’m sorry but that’s just not true. I have loved my car for the past 9 years and desperately wanted it to keep going. Here’s my receipt:View attachment 1025129

The statement made is that your battery pack needs to be replaced, which is a common occurrence. However, that is not what was mentioned in your initial post. You posted, "the battery management system board is no longer being produced and cannot be obtained".

It is important to recognize this distinction.

Last edited:
I have never made one thing up. Here ya go:
View attachment 1025140

Which means the "battery management system board" is not available to them to work on. That's true since swapping the BMS boards inside the pack is not something the service centers do. Instead the service centers require you to replace the entire battery pack with a new or a re-manufactured one. Isn't this what happened?

Again, the service centers do not handle the BMS (Battery Management System) boards located inside the battery packs, as they do not open the packs for component replacement. Instead, they recommend replacing the entire pack. However, for the purpose of clarity, it is important to note that you have not provided the exact part number for the "BMs" board that you and your service center are discussing. Using vague language will not help in clarifying the situation in your discussion.

Again, the service centers do not handle the BMS (Battery Management System) boards located inside the battery packs, as they do not open the packs for component replacement. Instead, they recommend replacing the entire pack. However, for the purpose of clarity, it is important to note that you have not provided the exact part number for the "BMs" board that you and your service center are discussing. Using vague language will not help in clarifying the situation in your discussion.
You're right. Based on my personal conversations with hundreds of folks worldwide - Tesla Techs, 2012-15 MS owners, Recell, Gruber, etc - and my own personal 5 figure out of warranty Tesla pack replacement in Nov 2022, it is not standard practice for Tesla Service Centers to repair failed packs. As you know, the general understanding is TSCs remove/replace and send failed packs to Lathrop for reman/recycling.

However, in @1PT1 GEE OP it appears otherwise. To me, I'd be interested in the final outcome as it may signal a new way TSCs are handling failed packs or be some misunderstanding.

Either way I'm willing to await the outcome without passing judgement ahead of time.

Last edited:
Tesla service center tech has said:

1 - "The BMs board did not work, sorry to say. All roads led to a new BMs board being the issue, but at this time the HV battery might need to be replaced."

==> By saying the HV battery might need to be replaced, the tech implies what he calls the "BMs" board, i.e., those which are inside the battery pack, the BMB's, etc., hence the need for battery replacement.

2 - "we received the front junction box. Working on this now."

==> Here, the tech implies the HV junction box (behind the frunk cavity). There are boards in there. So, he might be referring to those boards. Who knows.

3 - "Running into some complications here. There is a part we need that is No longer available and is not being produced, so we are working on circumventing that hurdle at the moment." .... "It's the battery management system board."

==> Looks like he is talking about a board inside the HV junction box outside of the battery pack. Even though he already has stated the need for a more drastic solution as the battery pack replacement.

The most confusing part to me is why the suggestion to replace the entire battery pack when there seems to be an issue with the HV junction box and possibly with a board in it !!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NV Ray