Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked forelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened ..a nerve wrecking, traumatic event. Understood after reading these posts. I was lucky there was no accident.
I had stopped at the ATM , drove out, turned left and applied brakes at the traffic lights..BAM BAM BAM. No clue what exactly happened but knew something very serious happened. Checked around the vehicle, NO blown tires, NO I was not driving on the right Rim/Wheel, rubber smell was obvious, wheel well was rubbed not broken. It happened 2.11mi/3.4km (7min) away from our brand new recently opened Tesla service.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2016 Model S 55k miles. Heard a creaking noise front drivers side wheel. Yesterday it was creaking really bad, so I took it in. They are replacing Fore Link Assembly for both front wheels. $1200. Not aware of hitting a pot hole or anything. I'm glad nothing broke while my wife or kids were in the car at least, it did not feel safe to drive.

2016 Model S 55k miles. Heard a creaking noise front drivers side wheel. Yesterday it was creaking really bad, so I took it in. They are replacing Fore Link Assembly for both front wheels. $1200. Not aware of hitting a pot hole or anything. I'm glad nothing broke while my wife or kids were in the car at least, it did not feel safe to drive.

Similar car and location here...did you ever drive east or north to the salt belt?

I did once, but car has not seen precip or weather for three years...

Thinking of pulling the wheels yearly and inspect the outer lug ends of the links...

Assume you are out of warranty, but did you show them the existing SB, and try for Goodwill?

Similar car and location here...did you ever drive east or north to the salt belt?

Assume you are out of warranty, but did you show them the existing SB, and try for Goodwill?
Never driven there. I found SB-17-31-001 (I think this is the relevant bulletin?) and I just sent a message to my service advisor to see if I am eligible. The cut off was May 2006, and I think mine may have been built in June, so we'll see.

Never driven there. I found SB-17-31-001 (I think this is the relevant bulletin?) and I just sent a message to my service advisor to see if I am eligible. The cut off was May 2006, and I think mine may have been built in June, so we'll see.

As you may be aware, a CA law, posted in all repair shops states that if you pay for replacement parts, you are entitled to get the old parts back. May be too late for that, but if not, sure like to see the failure.

As you may be aware, a CA law, posted in all repair shops states that if you pay for replacement parts, you are entitled to get the old parts back. May be too late for that, but if not, sure like to see the failure.
Sorry for the late reply. Tesla would not cover it. They said it's not part of the affected VIN, and my vehicle is out of warranty. Here is a photo, it clearly broke pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 529
Last week, broken driver front fore link on 2017 Model S with 25K miles (yeah, low mileage). Pulling out slowly from a parking space, turn the wheel sharply and heard loud crunching sound like running over a giant water bottle. Front wheel-well liner all bunched up and broken, part of the trim pulled away, and a piece of a broken metal ring on the ground (wasn't sure at the time if it was from my car or road trash). Had driven from MD to NC and back earlier in the week with no strange sounds or pulling or anything.

Called AAA for a flatbed tow to Teslas Service center in Owings Mills. ~90 days outside of my 4-yr warranty period. As soon as I described the wheel-well buckling the service center guy said he knew what it probably was and after a quick look, he identified it as the fore link breaking. I showed him the broken metal ring and he said that was it.

They said they had to replace both fore links (although only the one had broken).

I had a $500 credit on my account so service center applied that credit and then applied "good will" on at the remainder of the bill since I was so close to my warranty period. I thought that was kind. Perhaps it should been covered in full by Tesla without using my $500 credit, but happy to not have any out of pocket cost.

Super happy they had the parts in stock and did the repair the same day!! And replaced the wheel-well liner. They are a great service center.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 1.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 1.04.28 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
  • All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).png
    All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).png
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
  • All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).png
    All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).png
    3.3 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: mongo
Welcome to TMC and welcome to the Broken Fore Link Club.

Press them hard to replace both.

I believe there was a bad batch of Fore Links around that time. After they replaced my first one, I pressed them to replace the other. They refused, but 7 months later my other Fore Link cracked exactly the same way.
Ever since you had both replaced have you had any more issues related to the links? TIA

It is still a defective design. Report it to the NHTSB.
Hi
I just got back from service that they can’t perform alignment because my fore links are worn out
My car is out of warranty as of 3000 miles ago and I have not even had the car for 3 years. Before my warranty was over I took the car to service and I told them some weird noise is heard from the front left tires and I feel something is wrong with my suspension but they ignored it
I even said I want to change the tire but they said it is still good for few thousands more and guess what after I went back they came up with 1900 estimate to replace my fore links
Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated

Hi
I just got back from service that they can’t perform alignment because my fore links are worn out
My car is out of warranty as of 3000 miles ago and I have not even had the car for 3 years. Before my warranty was over I took the car to service and I told them some weird noise is heard from the front left tires and I feel something is wrong with my suspension but they ignored it
I even said I want to change the tire but they said it is still good for few thousands more and guess what after I went back they came up with 1900 estimate to replace my fore links
Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated
This is a job that an independent (non-Tesla) mechanic can do for much less. You can buy your own parts - search on this forum for posts about buying Sidem brand links, and you can buy the various nuts and bolts from a Tesla SC. When I had my front fore and aft links replaced by an indy mechanic, the labor charge was 360. As you know, you will have to get an alignment after the suspension work.