Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked roof glass from Tesla’s own Surfrack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike the other cases reported, there's no cracks coming from the rack, so there is possiblity of it coming from a rock chip.

When installed correctly, the rack should not touch the glass at all. Some people over tighten and have even broke the glass just during installation. There are also cases where the glass is uneven and is raised where the rack is (in which case warranty may cover). People have mentioned a piece of paper should be able to slip under the rubber part between the glass and rack.

You can always try to request warranty, but if they end up denying, note for a small crack like this a glass repair service (like that for windshields) might be able to repair (although you would need to remove rack for them to access). Some insurance policies also cover glass repair (although not always for roof).
That may have been the case hmm. Do you think having the crack jeopardizes the integrity of the rack and it’s strength? Are you saying that rack does not lean onto the glass at all?

That may have been the case hmm. Do you think having the crack jeopardizes the integrity of the rack and it’s strength? Are you saying that rack does not lean onto the glass at all?
The rack does not depend on the glass at all, it depends on the metal clips which clip onto metal retainer on the roof rails.

bb796750-2221-470d-894f-dcd0869d8e2f-jpeg.481593

You can see for example this post, the rack doesn't even touch the glass at all:
img_6396-png.894650

There's no integrity issue if rack was installed properly. There were cases in the earlier version for Model 3 where the J-bracket broke, which would put all stress on the glass, but supposedly they fixed that in later versions, although you can probably check if yours if that case.

There is also cases where the retainer failed, which is also covered under warranty (car warranty).

As for the crack, a windshield repair service can do a epoxy crack fill, which when done well will make the crack invisible. There are also DIY kits available, but the result may vary more depending on how skilled you are.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
From what I understand the rack is under the Main upper glass only.
Just talked to a guy that had his for two years and suddenly it broke.
The Loop that the J Hook goes in has to a certain distance away from
the the side of the side of the vertical part of the glass relief . Also there
is a possibilty of the loop breaking over time.

Finally got a Y had them come by to install the Rack and they couldn't
because the glass was offset to one side by a lot. 7.5 mm on one side less
than 2mm on the other side. I have and appointment to get the glass replaced.
I am thinking this may be why a lot of people are having problems.

The bracket under the glass that the J hook attaches to should not allow the rack to move foward or back . If those break it and you have not overloaded the rack then it should be on Tesla to fix it. I had them mount my racks and I will never take them off.
It's really is a quesy design .

This design was and afterthought and not very sound from and Engineering
perspective. If it is installed correctly and the J Hook engages the metal loop
under the glass there should be no way for the rack to move fowards or backwards
unless the the metal loop breaks(or the J hook). The piece of the j hook beside the glass is still lame. The orignal model S had a good system which was abandon probable for ease of manufacturing. I wonder what the record time is for people not having a problem with this setup. Anybody got one that has been on since the Model 3 first offered this. I heard they did have a problem with the J hooks breaking at one point.