Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield cracking, could it be a manufacturing defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my Model Y developed a crack after a rock strike on the highway ~2 months after I took delivery last year. I've had other cars with windshield cracks in a similar situation in the past, so I thought nothing of it at first. I opted to drive with the crack for now since the replacement cost is $1300. Then my roommate's 22 Model Y developed a crack, and now a friend has also informed me of a crack in his '22 MY windshield with no evidence of a rock strike. I see others on this forum with the same problem.
Now I'm wondering, since I drive a car with a significant square footage of glass, is the windshield faulty? No glass would withstand every rock strike, but Tesla claims their glass is tough (a sales associate assured me when I was looking into buying the car and asked about the durability of so much glass).
Anyone able to get their windshield replaced under warranty when there's no evidence of the cause of the damage?
Anyone else wondering?

I turned on defrost via the app last year to melt snow on the windshield. There were no cracks or chips in the glass before I did this. The glass cracked across the whole lower portion of the windshield. There was no evidence of a chip anywhere along the crack. Tesla replaced the windshield for free.

Reactions: OxBrew
Similar situation happened to me after an ice storm and blasting the defrost on front windshield. Developed two large cracks near the lower mid-section of the windshield. Made an insurance claim since I have a windshield replacement policy but never thought to make a Tesla warranty claim instead.

Similar situation happened to me after an ice storm and blasting the defrost on front windshield. Developed two large cracks near the lower mid-section of the windshield. Made an insurance claim since I have a windshield replacement policy but never thought to make a Tesla warranty claim instead.
Exactly where mine cracked. That was the last time I blew 90° defrost against an icy windshield. Now I just warm up the interior to about 74° and let it sit a bit longer.