Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Glass Replacemenmt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ampster

Supporting Member
While driving, a rock hit the spot where the roof glass meets the windshiels. The windshiels clearly has two cracks 15 and 10 inches long. The roof glass has a chip but no signs of any cracks as far as I can tell. I already got an estimate from Tesla and it was $800 less than Safelite for windshield replacement. Later I sent a photo of the chip to Tesla and asked for an additional estimate. My deductible is $1000 so either way that is all I would have to pay. The only posts about roof glass replacement seem to be about delivery issues. Are there any negatives to replacing the roof glass?

Photo is take from the top with the roof glass on the right. That chip is about one inch. the windshield cracks to not show up well in the photo but from the inside they are visable. That section in the photo is hidden from below by the horizontal structure at the top of the windshield.

Attachments

• roof chip.jpg
    roof chip.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
The roof glass now has two long cracks so it is no longer a question about whether I should have the roof glass replaced. I have requested a revised estimate and hopefully it can be done the same day as my scheduled windshield replacement. I have sent a memo to service over the weekend.

Heh. Back in 2018/2019 time frame, there were a bunch of Teslas that got glass cracks for no discernible reason. Most of these were on the rear window, but some of them were on the top glass. Tesla was good about replacing those under warranty, unless there was an obvious (as in your case) indication of road hazard damage.

However, the funny part has to do with the color of the glass. No, really. Early Teslas top glass, when wet (after a rainstorm) would have this nifty orange, glowing color. Mine still has that. Later ones don't. Replacment ones didn't. So there was this continuing debate: "I lost my orange glass!" "I don't like that orange glass!" and so on.

From the inside, nobody ever sees any color difference.

Last comment: The top glass has two characteristics:
  1. It's structural. It's stronger than steel. One of the reasons that a Tesla hangs in there so well in a side impact is that Top Glass Doesn't Give, Nor Blow Out, so the passenger compartment doesn't crunch so easily, a good thing for the inhabitants and one of the reasons the cars earn those IIS high safety ratings.
  2. It blocks infrared. Yes, put your hand on that glass on a hot day and it's a bit warm, but the car's definitely not doing a greenhouse imitation. That's not by accident, that's on purpose.
If you get top glass from somebody who's not Tesla, they'll probably give you #1, but I kinda wonder about #2.

Reactions: Ampster