Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crappy soft top cable broke - must be a better solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That cable from your ebay listing is for the S1 not S2 body style, which is the older design. So it may not have an ideal fit for the Roadster which is based on the S2.

I'm not sure either...haven't tried it. However, for what it's worth, the description does say "The listing is for a Brand New Replacement Roof Cable to fit Vauxhall VX220's and some Lotus Elise's (I believe this to be Series 2 models). The cable is 39 - 40 inches in length."

I am guessing everyone is still considering wire because...?

One reason may be because it doesn't stretch (as much) as line. So I went and bought 8 feet of Vectran from West Marine
Specifically the information is: V-12 Vectran Single Braid, 3mm Dia., 1900lb. Breaking Strength, Clear 155791 1460-03-00600

This stuff actually stretches as little as stainless steel wire but has the properties of line. Total cost for the front and back replacements is $7.58 delivered to the house.

I am guessing everyone is still considering wire because...?

The benefit of the wire solutions is to keep the turnbuckle for adjustability. With the single piece of line it was a bit of work for you to find the right length. Also you need to be a good boy scout or sailor for knot skill. :wink:

You mentioned difficulty with threading the line through. The secret for any of these solutions is to attach the new wire or line to the broken one before pulling out the broken one, thereby pulling the new one through.

I've replaced the cable two or three times, but the ones currently in place seem to be holding up (knock wood). My current problem is that the stitching of the canvas cable channels to the top has broken in a couple of places so the canvas is coming loose. It needs to be sewn back again.

I'm not sure either...haven't tried it. However, for what it's worth, the description does say "The listing is for a Brand New Replacement Roof Cable to fit Vauxhall VX220's and some Lotus Elise's (I believe this to be Series 2 models). The cable is 39 - 40 inches in length."

The S1 had the cable adjuster close to the ends like in the pic below and the ebay listing, which can cause clearance issues.

B116V0064H-LOW_MED.jpg

The S1 had the cable adjuster close to the ends like in the pic below and the ebay listing, which can cause clearance issues.

B116V0064H-LOW_MED.jpg

Interesting. I didn't know that. The replacements (that are on my soft-top now) look like the above ones...with the adjuster on the end. Works fine. I have them arranged so that there is one adjuster per side (i.e. the adjuster for the front cable is on the driver's side, the adjuster for the rear cable is on the passenger side).

Interesting. I didn't know that. The replacements (that are on my soft-top now) look like the above ones...with the adjuster on the end. Works fine.

It's good to know that these cables with the adjuster on one end can be used if we need to. When I thought about these I assumed there might be a problem with hitting the wall of the groove, particularly on the rear edge, and possibly scratching the CF rollbar cover.

Juanmax,

I have purchased those cables (the ones you linked to) but, I haven't needed to install them. My original ones (with the turnbuckle in the middle) broke...both of them. And I replaced them with the Lotus S1-looking cables (that wiztecy posted...with the turnbuckle on the end of the cable), and they're working fine. They were a tad tight when I first installed them but, they're great now.

The benefit of the wire solutions is to keep the turnbuckle for adjustability. With the single piece of line it was a bit of work for you to find the right length. Also you need to be a good boy scout or sailor for knot skill. :wink:

You mentioned difficulty with threading the line through. The secret for any of these solutions is to attach the new wire or line to the broken one before pulling out the broken one, thereby pulling the new one through.

I've replaced the cable two or three times, but the ones currently in place seem to be holding up (knock wood). My current problem is that the stitching of the canvas cable channels to the top has broken in a couple of places so the canvas is coming loose. It needs to be sewn back again.
That's how I got mine to thread finally.
BTW, my vectran solution is still holding up great. It really wasn't a big deal to get the lengths correct and I never have to worry about them rusting.

Here is my how I solved the crappy cable issue with some Dyneema rope and some help from a neighbour into sailing. Ridiculously easy to adjust and everything is soft and light. I can't wait to replace the other cable when it breaks. :)

IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

Here is my how I solved the crappy cable issue with some Dyneema rope and some help from a neighbour into sailing. Ridiculously easy to adjust and everything is soft and light. I can't wait to replace the other cable when it breaks. :)
Sorry, I'm not into sailing... How do you adjust that? I have two soft tops and recently had to switch because one of the cables broke. Your solution looks like it would cost only a few dollars vs. $80 for the Lotus cable.

Sorry, I'm not into sailing... How do you adjust that? I have two soft tops and recently had to switch because one of the cables broke. Your solution looks like it would cost only a few dollars vs. $80 for the Lotus cable.

I'm afraid i'm not into sailing either but if you bring the two metal attachments to a boating shop, show them the picture above and tell them the length you want I think they should be able to help you.
I had a look at youtube for instructions of how you do it your self but it looks a bit too complicated for a one off job...

Good luck