Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy idea: illuminating dash with aftermarket rear seat LED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SL77

MSLR MSM 2023
Mar 21, 2022
Louisiana
My first EV and Model Y should be arriving this year and I am already excited about making the switch. One thing I noticed during a test drive was how dark the interior can be at night. Coming from a vehicle with lights everywhere, it was a little jarring. So I begin to look at aftermarket options that work OEM-like. Unfortunately, nothing is out there (that I know of) that will work like installed from the factory, except for an aftermarket floor light kit that adds rear floor lighting. What makes this unique is that it will come on automatically, dim and turn off automatically, and controlled by the screen. So I began to think about adhering one of the rear floor light behind the main screen. The LED would wash the dash with light, the center console (or both) - depending on the location and angle of the installation. Of course, I can't test this yet because I do not have the vehicle (or the parts), but in my head 😂 it sounds like it could work. Technically, you could dial back the brightness by adding a litttle black electrical tape to the LED itself.

So I wonder, for those who have these kits, how large are these rear light kits? would you see this sticking out behind the screen? Is there a clean path behind the screen where wires wouldn't be seen or noticed?

Food for thought on a Monday morning.

I've had my MY for about 6 weeks now. At first I was bothered by just how dark the car is at night, but now I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. I'd recommend using the car for a while to see if you adjust to it.

I even had the built-in ambient lighting on in the footwells for a while, but now I prefer to have that off. I do like to have the little lights on in the steering wheel scroll wheels though.

Reactions: SL77
I did something of the sort not too long ago.

Diode Dynamics LED strip. The dash piece is easily removed. I hardwired it to a toggle which I placed under the drivers side wheel well area. It also has a Bluetooth controller so it worked via an app as well.

665D4ED9-20A1-42EA-9AE4-1D17D1345102.jpeg
9232B190-4D50-4B15-A26D-1E1F68305322.jpeg

Reactions: SL77