Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Ambient lightning using EL Wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
sharing some pictures of what I accomplished by using this: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
to add some ambient lightning to my model X (also possible on model S).

1 EL wire in between the dash-trim and 1 EL wire in each back of the front seats (in between the leather and the plastic trim)
IMG_20190504_222453.jpg

the view from outside
IMG_20190504_222426.jpg

I followed the instructions as shown in this youtube video:

if interested I can share some more details about the installation/wiring etc...

Last edited:
Thanks. The Amazon link of the LED strip you have in your YouTube is not showing the product.

Do you have the cable plugged into the USB? If so, how did you route it to the USB without showing the cable hiding? Thanks again

Thank you. How much energy does it use-up to light it up?

Does it avoid the Tesla warranty?

No idea about energy-usage...
As for warranty: you don't modify anything on the car (no cutting cables or such), just plugging it in with cigarette-lighter adapter(s).

Thanks. The Amazon link of the LED strip you have in your YouTube is not showing the product.

Do you have the cable plugged into the USB? If so, how did you route it to the USB without showing the cable hiding? Thanks again

Ali-express link: US $0.64 35% OFF| Neon Light 6mm Sewing Edge EL Wire Led Dance Party Decor Car Lights Neon LED lamp Flexible 2.3MM Rope Tube LED Strips in Neon Light 6mm Sewing Edge EL Wire Led Dance Party Decor Car Lights Neon LED lamp Flexible 2.3MM Rope Tube LED Strips van LED-strips op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep

Or search on ali-express with terms like 'neon light EL wire'

On the ali-express link you can chose for USB or cigarette-lighter adapter and I opted for the cigarette-lighter version. I have 3 El wire strips to power (1 for the front dashboard and 1 for each back of the front seats), so I wasn't sure if a USB hub would provide enough power to power 3 strips. So my solution was 3 times the El wire strip with the cigarette-lighter socket and a cigarette-lighter splitter which provides 3 sockets to power the 3 strips (something like this: https://www.saverpoint.com/ekmps/sh...rette-lighter-splitter-1-usb-port-58677-p.png)
I've tucked this cigarette lighter splitter into compartment under the armrest of the Model X/S (you can slide the splitter via the cup-holder compartment)... but I'll post pictures to clarify the wiring and such.

No idea about energy-usage...
As for warranty: you don't modify anything on the car (no cutting cables or such), just plugging it in with cigarette-lighter adapter(s).

Ali-express link: US $0.64 35% OFF| Neon Light 6mm Sewing Edge EL Wire Led Dance Party Decor Car Lights Neon LED lamp Flexible 2.3MM Rope Tube LED Strips in Neon Light 6mm Sewing Edge EL Wire Led Dance Party Decor Car Lights Neon LED lamp Flexible 2.3MM Rope Tube LED Strips van LED-strips op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep

Or search on ali-express with terms like 'neon light EL wire'

On the ali-express link you can chose for USB or cigarette-lighter adapter and I opted for the cigarette-lighter version. I have 3 El wire strips to power (1 for the front dashboard and 1 for each back of the front seats), so I wasn't sure if a USB hub would provide enough power to power 3 strips. So my solution was 3 times the El wire strip with the cigarette-lighter socket and a cigarette-lighter splitter which provides 3 sockets to power the 3 strips (something like this: https://www.saverpoint.com/ekmps/sh...rette-lighter-splitter-1-usb-port-58677-p.png)
I've tucked this cigarette lighter splitter into compartment under the armrest of the Model X/S (you can slide the splitter via the cup-holder compartment)... but I'll post pictures to clarify the wiring and such.
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm tempted to try this with my Model 3. I'm wondering how you routed the wires from footwell area to the cigarette lighter outlet?

I totally understand the voltage conversion, but I am interested in finding out what wattage the OP selected for the light strips he recommended. The light strips come in wattages ranging from 1-5w and was just curious to know which one he went with.

I totally understand the voltage conversion, but I am interested in finding out what wattage the OP selected for the light strips he recommended. The light strips come in wattages ranging from 1-5w and was just curious to know which one he went with.
I went with the el wire that amazon sells 5v. I bought 3 packs. For the dash and both front seats I found that some of the kits sell cheap converters and they melt or make a loud buzzing noise when used. I went with different converters and also bought a usb splitter so I don’t use up all the USB ports. Plus it’s a cleaner look.

USB splitter Lenovo USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D5TS8KH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

El wire wire the good converter EL Wire for Automotive, 9ft EL... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T5X3XDD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share