Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy J1772 Adapter Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was charging at a Chargepoint station with my J1772 adapter. Upon my return the adapter would not release from the charging gun. We had Chargepoint, Tesla, Security, the Building Maintenance, and even other Tesla owners trying to release the adapter from the gun. Has anyone else experienced this? It was totally removed from the vehicle and continued to charge if reinserted. The adapter was basically welded to the gun and to date has not been removed. So I'm stuck buying a new J1772 adapter for my Tesla X. Any assistance, suggestion or advice is welcome.

I honestly think the J1772 plug was likely getting old and caused the problem. You could argue that Chargepoint should be the one buying you a new adapter (and be grateful they aren't having to repair the car itself). I suppose it's also possible that your adapter was not quite right.

I remember hearing a Blink EVSE hooked up to a Toyota RAV4 EV melted the connector to the car. The connector used on the Blink could not handle 6.6kw.

Yeah, that happened to @TonyWilliams. Most of those old Blink handles had never been asked to actually deliver 30a as the only two cars (LEAF and VOLT) available when they were installed could only charge at 16a. The Rav4EV was the first car that came along that could max out the connection, and a number of handles failed, both on residential and commercial units. Blink later remotely limited all their EVSEs to 24a or 16a rather than fix or replace the defective handles. I ended up replacing my cord and handle because of a broken wire right around the time I got my RAV, and Blink bumped mine back up to 30a on request. There's also a hidden menu to change the charge limit manually, if needed. I still use my Blink (from 2011!) with my Rav4EV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
So what happened and did blink offer a repair?

Did they offer a repair 7 years ago (when Blink was flush in Obama Bucks, Nissan bailout money and investor cash?) ?

Yes, I think they did.

Toyota / Tesla repaired the inlet on my two week old RAV4 EV under warranty. There was a design change to the RAV4 design to make it easier to exchange the inlet.

Blink has since went through bankruptcy, bought for pennies on the dollar, and are still struggling.

Chargepoint is denying any responsibility. They keep saying Tesla's adapter was faulty. And in the same breath, "It's never happened and they have working chargers that have never had an issue." They won't return the adapter so I can approach Tesla or Tesla's engineers to take a look. Chargepoint has stopped returning any calls. Thought about reaching out to Chargepoint's board of directors. Any suggestions?

I had a similar situation at my office maybe two years ago and after maybe 30 minutes of work my J1772 adapter came off. When we looked in the ChargePoint cable, the rubber gasket was all in the wrong spot and basically my adapter got wedged in with the gasket, “locking” it in. Terrifying to think what would happen if one of my non-Tesla coworkers plugged their car in. We removed the gasket so others wouldn’t run into an issue and about two weeks later ChargePoint replaced the cord and handle.

I had a similar situation at my office maybe two years ago and after maybe 30 minutes of work my J1772 adapter came off. When we looked in the ChargePoint cable, the rubber gasket was all in the wrong spot and basically my adapter got wedged in with the gasket, “locking” it in. Terrifying to think what would happen if one of my non-Tesla coworkers plugged their car in. We removed the gasket so others wouldn’t run into an issue and about two weeks later ChargePoint replaced the cord and handle.

Yes, heard of that before, on LEAFs. Usually, it manifests as someone not being able to seat the plug properly and the charge not starting. The solution is the same, either removing or reseating the gasket.