Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with Mobile Charger 1058221-01-G and 110V Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I recently acquired a Mobile Charger with the model number 1058221-01-G. Today, I attempted to use it for the first time by connecting it to a 110V power source using an adapter I purchased from Amazon. However, I seem to be experiencing some difficulties, and I was hoping someone here could help me troubleshoot the issue.

Here are the details of the problem I encountered:

1. Adapter: I bought an adapter specifically designed for use with the Mobile Charger. You can find the adapter I purchased on the Amazon page. Despite the compatibility, the charger does not seem to be functioning correctly.
  2. Power Supply: I connected the adapter to a standard 110V power outlet in my home. I have verified that the outlet is functioning properly by using other devices.
  3. Charger Status: When I plug the Mobile Charger into the adapter and connect it to the power source, there are no indications that it is charging or receiving any power. The lights on the charger remain off, and my vehicle does not detect any charging activity.
  4. Troubleshooting Attempts: I have tried unplugging and reconnecting the charger multiple times, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have also verified that the connections are secure and the adapter is properly attached.
To ensure I haven't overlooked any important details or steps, I have consulted the charger manual. However, I couldn't find any specific troubleshooting instructions related to my issue.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice from the community regarding this matter. Has anyone encountered a similar problem with the Mobile Charger 1058221-01-G? Is there anything specific I should check or any troubleshooting steps I may have missed? Original adapter what I have with charger - on the last picture below.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I'm looking forward to hearing your insights and recommendations.

Best regards,

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3199.png
    IMG_3199.png
    320 KB · Views: 45
Strange. It’s woking in iOS notes. BTW:
Manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_40_amp_en_US.pdf

Adapter:

Plug end on pic #4
There's your problem (the adapter). This adapter is not wired correctly for use on an EVSE (aka the EV charging equipment). The NEMA 14-50 outlet, which is the big 4-prong outlet, needs to have the hot wires going to the two vertical side legs (marked X and Y on the plastic next to them). The neutral leg isn't needed at all (the top, vertical leg marked W).

You should get the actual NEMA 5-15 adapter for the Gen 1 Tesla mobile connector so that it works correctly on regular 120V outlets. It looks like Tesla recently stopped selling the adapters for the Gen 1, but you can get a high quality aftermarket one here NEMA 5-15 120V Adapter for Tesla Model S and Model X Gen 1

If you want the official Tesla part, you can find one on eBay Tesla Gen1 NEMA 5-15 - Mobile Connector | eBay

You can also buy a cheap adapter similar to the orange one you have, but it NEEDS to say that it is for EVs and not RVs. This is not recommended because it will not limit your current and you can easily have the car pull 40 amps on your 15 amp house outlet and will cause your breaker to trip. Amazon.com

Last edited:
There's your problem (the adapter). This adapter is not wired correctly for use on an EVSE (aka the EV charging equipment). The NEMA 14-50 outlet, which is the big 4-prong outlet, needs to have the hot wires going to the two vertical side legs (marked X and Y on the plastic next to them). The neutral leg isn't needed at all (the top, vertical leg marked W).

You should get the actual NEMA 5-15 adapter for the Gen 1 Tesla mobile connector so that it works correctly on regular 120V outlets. It looks like Tesla recently stopped selling the adapters for the Gen 1, but you can get a high quality aftermarket one here NEMA 5-15 120V Adapter for Tesla Model S and Model X Gen 1

If you want the official Tesla part, you can find one on eBay Tesla Gen1 NEMA 5-15 - Mobile Connector | eBay

You can also buy a cheap adapter similar to the orange one you have, but it NEEDS to say that it is for EVs and not RVs. This is not recommended because it will not limit your current and you can easily have the car pull 40 amps on your 15 amp house outlet and will cause your breaker to trip. Amazon.com
I hope you're doing well. I wanted to express my sincere appreciation for your informative response to my post about the issue I was facing with my Mobile Charger 1058221-01-G and the 110V adapter.

Your explanation regarding the incorrect wiring of the adapter for use on an EVSE (EV charging equipment) was incredibly insightful. I now understand that the NEMA 14-50 outlet requires specific wiring configurations.

Moreover, I'm grateful for the valuable recommendations you provided. The suggestion to obtain the NEMA 5-15 adapter for the Gen 1 Tesla mobile connector for proper functionality on regular 120V outlets is immensely helpful.

In addition, your mention of the official Tesla part available on eBay is greatly appreciated. I will explore both options to ensure I can acquire the appropriate adapter for my charging needs.

Lastly, thank you for highlighting the importance of using an adapter specifically designed for EVs and not RVs. Your caution regarding the potential risks of using an adapter that doesn't limit the current is well noted. I will ensure that any adapter I consider clearly specifies compatibility with EVs.

Once again, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive response. Your knowledge and willingness to assist fellow Tesla owners like myself are truly commendable. The Tesla community is fortunate to have members like you who are always ready to lend a helping hand.

Best regards,
Alex

Reactions: android04

Hello android04,

Thank you once again for your valuable response. I have a follow-up question regarding the use of a generic adapter without current limitations.

Considering your cautionary note about the potential risks of using an adapter that does not limit the current, I wanted to inquire if it would be feasible to manually limit the current on the car side instead. For instance, if I were to set the current limit to 15A on the car, would that adequately address the concern of potentially pulling 40 amps on a 15 amp house outlet? Or would it be more appropriate to set a different current limit?

I understand that using a properly designed adapter is the recommended approach, but I'm curious to explore if adjusting the current limit on the car side could serve as a temporary solution in case I'm unable to obtain the specific adapter immediately.

I would appreciate your insights and guidance on this matter. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Alex

Hello android04,

Thank you once again for your valuable response. I have a follow-up question regarding the use of a generic adapter without current limitations.

Considering your cautionary note about the potential risks of using an adapter that does not limit the current, I wanted to inquire if it would be feasible to manually limit the current on the car side instead. For instance, if I were to set the current limit to 15A on the car, would that adequately address the concern of potentially pulling 40 amps on a 15 amp house outlet? Or would it be more appropriate to set a different current limit?

I understand that using a properly designed adapter is the recommended approach, but I'm curious to explore if adjusting the current limit on the car side could serve as a temporary solution in case I'm unable to obtain the specific adapter immediately.

I would appreciate your insights and guidance on this matter. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Alex
Yes, you can use the Amazon adapter that is designed for use on an EV as long as you limit the charge current in the car. You have to limit the charge current to 80% of the circuit's capacity, so the limit would be 12 amps on the regular household 15 amp circuit. You would have to get in the car and set the charge current to 12 amp before plugging in and the car should remember that setting every time you plug in at the same location. Many people do this, but the setting can possibly change after an update and when you plug in your will trip. At least your breaker will do it's job and shut off, but too many cycles like that will eventually cause it to wear out or can cause failure in other weak points in the circuit. It might be good to zip tie a card with a note to the adapter explaining the limitations and check your settings in the car.

Yes, you can use the Amazon adapter that is designed for use on an EV as long as you limit the charge current in the car. You have to limit the charge current to 80% of the circuit's capacity, so the limit would be 12 amps on the regular household 15 amp circuit. You would have to get in the car and set the charge current to 12 amp before plugging in and the car should remember that setting every time you plug in at the same location. Many people do this, but the setting can possibly change after an update and when you plug in your will trip. At least your breaker will do it's job and shut off, but too many cycles like that will eventually cause it to wear out or can cause failure in other weak points in the circuit. It might be good to zip tie a card with a note to the adapter explaining the limitations and check your settings in the car.
Thanks a lot!

You are life saver! Just got (original gen 1) adapter from eBay and charger start working like a charm))) Thanks again for your knowledge and advise.

Reactions: android04