Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit Unions with good rates that accept applicants anywhere within the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so Tesla did alert me that Fedchoice is now in their 3rd party database for lenders. I also spoke with Fedchoice and they confirmed that their new rate floor is 2.74.
Ahh okay, 2.74 is still pretty good compared to what I’ve been seeing. Good luck!

One key piece of information that had me in a panic, FedChoice’s approval is good for 60 days. At the time I thought the 1% discount was only good for 30 days, so I applied for my loan around 29 days after becoming a member. Then I applied for financing about 4 weeks prior to receiving my VIN and just hoped for the best. It worked out, locked in my rate and car delivery is next week.

How much down payment?
They do 100% if you want. I chose to pay for tax and fees as down.

Ahh okay, 2.74 is still pretty good compared to what I’ve been seeing. Good luck!

One key piece of information that had me in a panic, FedChoice’s approval is good for 60 days. At the time I thought the 1% discount was only good for 30 days, so I applied for my loan around 29 days after becoming a member. Then I applied for financing about 4 weeks prior to receiving my VIN and just hoped for the best. It worked out, locked in my rate and car delivery is next week.
Yep 2.74 @ 72m definitely beats AdelFi, Nusenda and Tower.
However they are very slow in their web messaging. I have to call them to get any traction on my inquiries.

Reactions: mrdrbunbunster

I do not see the discount on the website, how did you find that out? curious is that still exists.

Hi Folks, NOOB here. Thankful for this site and thread. I ordered yesterday a MY and delivery was stated to be Dec to Apr. This morning, I woke up to find the app updated to reflect a new date of 11/8 to 11/22! Approved for financing w/ Tesla but I hate their rate at 4.74% Opened account with FedChoice and waiting on that to approve. Understanding the 1% rate reduction for new members (within 90 days), when should I apply for the auto loan? Do delivery dates commonly get pushed out? Btw, no VIN yet of course.

I had good luck with Tech CU - Technology Credit Union in San Jose. Tesla recommended them and they were very easy to work with. Not sure what their current rates are as I have since moved the loan to a Texas CU, but they were very competitive. Only fee was a $25 minimum deposit.

Some insight regarding Adelfi, I applied about 60 days ago. I was able to lock in a 2.2% rate for 60 months. I used Adelfi rate to have a different CU match the rate. I purchased 2 cars so I was able to get 2 different rate locks. I’m in sales so I was able to use my skills to make this happen. Other CU do not offer a rate match.

5 dollars. But they never even asked me when I got approved for membership.

You do the car loan app first which automatically submits a deferred membership app until you get approved for the loan.
I still see this for FedChoice:
Model YearLoan AmountTermAPR* as low as**
New$5,000 minup to 60 mos.3.24%

How are you guys getting the 2.74% rate? i guess i can call them :)

This is what i found on the website:
  • New member loan discount - take 1% off during your first 90 days6

From <Thrive | FedChoice Federal Credit Union>

6 Application and disbursal for Signature and/or Auto Loans must be made within the first 90 days of membership. Some members may only receive a partial discount on an auto loan in accordance with FedChoice Federal Credit Union's rate floor policy. All credit is subject to approval. FedChoice normal underwriting requirements apply. This discount may not be combined with any other offers. Please speak with a Financial Service Advisor for full terms and conditions in relation to this offer. Not everyone will qualify for the lowest loan rates. Final rate will be determined by creditworthiness of the applicant.

I did give them a call and the lowest is 2.74%. loan approvals are only for 60 days. Currently they are busy so a approval/denial would be provided within 3 business days.

Don't bother with Coastal Credit Union. They can't/won't match the Tesla 4.74% rate and actually quoted a full 2 points higher.
Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 11.26.16 AM.png

FYI - I set up an account with FedChoice online. Super easy. They donated on my behalf. You do need to open a savings account with a minimum of $5. In doing so, through the Thrive program, they also credit you an additional $25 to that savings account. Process to create an account through set up was 1 day but beware, a hard inquiry occurs. Not sure if they use this same inquiry for the loan so buyer beware. Loan app also asks if you're a new member within 90 days so that the 1% discount can be applied to the loan.

As long as you are not an existing member, when you apply for a car loan and get approved, you get an automatic additional 1% off their rates, but their floor rate is 2.74%. I never mentioned any programs, when I applied and when I was approved, I got the 2.74% rate x 72m.

FYI - I set up an account with FedChoice online. Super easy. They donated on my behalf. You do need to open a savings account with a minimum of $5. In doing so, through the Thrive program, they also credit you an additional $25 to that savings account. Process to create an account through set up was 1 day but beware, a hard inquiry occurs. Not sure if they use this same inquiry for the loan so buyer beware. Loan app also asks if you're a new member within 90 days so that the 1% discount can be applied to the loan.
The way to do it is to apply for the Car Loan first and that automatically defers a membership application, that way if you do get approved for an auto loan, you automatically get an regular membership. If you dont get approved, no reason to get a membership with them.

Reactions: Senpai