Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crossing Time Zones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove from Georgia to Alabama and noticed the time didn't change on the display to Central time. My iPhone didn't change, either. Sometimes my iPhone fails to change and I have to reboot it. I was only in Alabama for a short time and returned to Ga.

Is the M3 using the time hack from my phone instead of using GPS? This would explain why it didn't change, but I wonder why the M3 would choose my phone over GPS.

Anyone know the real scoop?

How far into Ala did you go. Your cellphone and car get the time from the cell site. If you don't go far enough, you may be still hearing a GA site
It does work, I've done it on I-10, I-20, I-59, and numerous other roads.
It is totally based on cell site and not actual line. If you live in Columbus, you tend to disable the feature

I cross from eastern to central time zone all the time. The car has always switched for me. The only annoying part is that the GPS doesn’t show arrival time in the new time zone. So I need to do some simple math, but it never indicates what time zone it is showing for arrival.

How far into Ala did you go. Your cellphone and car get the time from the cell site. If you don't go far enough, you may be still hearing a GA site
It does work, I've done it on I-10, I-20, I-59, and numerous other roads.
It is totally based on cell site and not actual line. If you live in Columbus, you tend to disable the feature
Went to lake Wedowee which is not just over the line. My other vehicles always change when I take them to the lake.