Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time having major phone key issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jbiggs2

Mar 19, 2020
OK
Yesterday, phone completely not recognized by my Tesla in the garage. 2020 LR M3. Iphone 13 ProMax. Had recently downloaded update for the phone. Had to use the key card to start the car. After restarting my phone twice, doing the soft screen reboot in the Tesla, still wouldn't pair. Finally deleted the Tesla app and reinstalled, logged in and was able to pair the phone as key. Did not enjoy the experience but probably due to the latest Apple update.

It's a yearly task I that appears to creep up on me also. It doesn't seem to matter what platform you are on either, the phone as key breaks on occasion. My guess is likely due to power saving features or security features that are constantly updated on phones. Yes, annoying... but in the grand scheme of things it's a good reminder to carry your key card as a backup as phones are not 100% reliable.

Yesterday, phone completely not recognized by my Tesla in the garage. 2020 LR M3. Iphone 13 ProMax. Had recently downloaded update for the phone. Had to use the key card to start the car. After restarting my phone twice, doing the soft screen reboot in the Tesla, still wouldn't pair. Finally deleted the Tesla app and reinstalled, logged in and was able to pair the phone as key. Did not enjoy the experience but probably due to the latest Apple update.
It happens. When that happens to me every now and then, I just basically blow everything out, and reinstall the phone. By reinstall, I mean, pairing it up again. This usually solves the problem. I would not fret too much about it.

So far, everytime my phone flakes on me, I find that if I pull out my phone, open the Tesla app (which is already running) and tap the unlock (or open rear hatch) it works. Thank goodness that I've not experience the more difficult problems others have had. When it does occasionally happen, I find it annoying because I'm generally carrying things in my hands and I'd like to put them in the back.