Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ctrl+Alt+Delete - An important tip!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after spending about 2 hours at the pick-up of my P3D pouring over every aspect of the car, I finally jumped in and drove away. During the drive I had my phone connected via BT and Spotify music playing in the car. My wife called me and we talked a few minutes. When she hung up, the sound system in the car went nuts. There was a "whomp whomp whomp" sound and little else. Even the blinkers barely made a sound.

Naturally I was immediately shocked, but remembered this is basically a supercomputer with wheels. Being that I was not to far from the pick-up location, I headed back and got some tips. If something like this happens, you can soft reset or hard reset the computer to attempt to fix it. For me, the soft reset worked. The processes are nearly identical and very useful to know.

Soft Reset:
  • Stop car in a safe location
  • Place in "Park"
  • Put steering wheel in a level position (basically the tires pointed straight ahead and even)
  • Press and hold both scroll wheels until the compute resets
  • Release the scroll wheels and monitor the reset on the screen
Hard Reset:
Same as the soft reset above, but before you hold the scroll wheels down you also press down the parking brake
  • Stop car in a safe location
  • Place in "Park"
  • Put steering wheel in a level position (basically the tires pointed straight ahead and even)
  • Press down firmly on the break pedal
  • Press and hold both scroll wheels until the compute resets
  • Release the scroll wheels and monitor the reset on the screen
I hope this helps (and am sure it is probably redundant, but I did not see it in a quick search - I may have been too quick too).