Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.27.6 broke navigation audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated to 2023.27.6. Suddenly, navigation audio is only coming out of the subwoofer, and is unintelligible. Radio audio still works just fine. I have reset the screen computer twice, once with a short press of both scroll wheels, and once holding the scroll wheels and brake down until the Tesla logo appeared. Neither reset had any effect.
Messing with the navigation volume control only adjusts the volume of what comes out of the subwoofer. messing with the equalizer has no effect on navigation audio.
Car is a 2019 M3P so it is out of warranty.
Any suggestions on other things to try to fix this issue?

I just got 2023.27.6. on my 2018 model X and I have noticed the navigation voice coming out from somewhere under the dashboard or center console and I agree, it is hard to understand as well. There are other funny things as well, like moving of the drive indicator in the center display to the right from the left and the time and temperature to the left of the central display. Control panel has some extra menu items and changes as well, but I don't remember exactly what they are.

Update: As of this past weekend, there would be times where the navigation voice was clear! It was kind off odd where at the beginning it was muffled but as I continued driving it progressively got better. I did send a bug report to Tesla when it first started...but I doubt Tesla would just send a hidden update to fix it. Anyways, I'm hoping the next update will fix this and if not will make a service appointment.

I'm not sure that this is related but I'll say in case. Some people have installed kits to "unlock" additional speakers in their RWD model 3s as the car comes with some speakers that that just not activated (base model). Tesla has recently cracked down on this. Newer software versions make the sound of navigation and bluetooth phone calls muddy in that situation. I don't think a model X and a model S would have this (nor an m3p) but since symptoms are related I thought I'd mention.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz
I'm not sure that this is related but I'll say in case. Some people have installed kits to "unlock" additional speakers in their RWD model 3s as the car comes with some speakers that that just not activated (base model). Tesla has recently cracked down on this. Newer software versions make the sound of navigation and bluetooth phone calls muddy in that situation. I don't think a model X and a model S would have this (nor an m3p) but since symptoms are related I thought I'd mention.
This problem is happening on cars that have no modifications.

Reactions: GtiMart
My car is scheduled to go in to a service center on Tuesday to fix this problem.
The best speculation I have on this is that the firmware changed which speakers are used for the navigation voice, and the speaker now being used does not work in my car.
I wish there was a speaker test in the service menu.

Well, it is fixed for $190, but I do not know much about what they did.
My car was serviced last night (2023-10-31) to fix this. All they said about what was fixed was the following: Correction: X057 Connector Soft Set - Inspection
I asked through the app what was found and how it was fixed, but got no response.
X057 appears to be an identifier for a connector, but I can't figure out from the wiring diagrams I have for the car where that connector would be. It appears the audio signals go through that connector, but that does not explain why the radio sounded fine, and only the navigation audio was unintelligible.

• Informative
Well, it is fixed for $190, but I do not know much about what they did.
My car was serviced last night (2023-10-31) to fix this. All they said about what was fixed was the following: Correction: X057 Connector Soft Set - Inspection
I asked through the app what was found and how it was fixed, but got no response.
X057 appears to be an identifier for a connector, but I can't figure out from the wiring diagrams I have for the car where that connector would be. It appears the audio signals go through that connector, but that does not explain why the radio sounded fine, and only the navigation audio was unintelligible.
Thanks for the update. Kinda sucks that their software update busted the audio but you were told to pay for it. Sorry to hear that happened to you. I'll also put in a service request in the future (car is currently in an auto body shop) and update here to see if they explain to me what the fix is.

Thanks for the update. Kinda sucks that their software update busted the audio but you were told to pay for it. Sorry to hear that happened to you. I'll also put in a service request in the future (car is currently in an auto body shop) and update here to see if they explain to me what the fix is.
The most plausible explanation I can come up with is that the connector had been loose for a long time, but the software update changed the speakers used by the navigation voice from speakers that were working to ones not working due to the loose connector. That is a wild guess.

• Informative
The most plausible explanation I can come up with is that the connector had been loose for a long time, but the software update changed the speakers used by the navigation voice from speakers that were working to ones not working due to the loose connector. That is a wild guess.
Yeah, mine is going into the service center on Monday for other stuff but I included this issue as well...so we'll see what they say about my vehicle. I'll update here once I get more info.

Reactions: Transformer
I had this issue on my 2018 Model 3 LR. Based on the descriptions of the repairs above, I pulled off the right side interior panel in the passenger footwell. Which required first removing the panel under the glove box and the little trim piece to the right of the glove box, on the pillar. Then the larger panel (that extends all the way down the bottom of the door opening) can come off.

Anyway, there a bunch of connectors in there and from the service manual I believe "X057" is one of them. Anyway, I pushed on them all to "re-seat" them. Like magic my turn signal and navigation audio are back!

I've happily canceled my service appt. Thanks @AKADAP for the details from your service!

Reactions: Transformer
I had this issue on my 2018 Model 3 LR. Based on the descriptions of the repairs above, I pulled off the right side interior panel in the passenger footwell. Which required first removing the panel under the glove box and the little trim piece to the right of the glove box, on the pillar. Then the larger panel (that extends all the way down the bottom of the door opening) can come off.

Anyway, there a bunch of connectors in there and from the service manual I believe "X057" is one of them. Anyway, I pushed on them all to "re-seat" them. Like magic my turn signal and navigation audio are back!

I've happily canceled my service appt. Thanks @AKADAP for the details from your service!
If only we knew which connector was X057, perhaps we could save a bunch of people a trip to the service center. At my service center, they tend to work at night, so on top of the $190 service center charge, there were two lyft trips for an additional $70, and a night without a car. I could easily have done the job myself if I knew which connector I needed to re-seat.

Update: Got my Model X back from the service center and they indicated that it was operating as designed.....what's weird is that when I tested it again after getting it back the navigation voice is now clear and no longer muffled, but the difference now is that the voice only comes from the center speaker. I was looking around in the settings and noticed that the immersive sound was turned off (haven't tested yet with it on). If it happens again I'll report back and make another service ticket. Here's the invoice:
1700050884804.png