Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash protection for 2024 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any recommendations for curb rash protection for the new 2024 M3P wheels? I traded in my 2021 M3 LR and definitely had a good amount of curb rash that I would like to avoid this time around.

I have a 2018 P3D and I installed a set of those rim protectors when they first came on the market. After my initial experience with them, I decided not to use them anymore. This is why:

1) I found that dirt would get trapped along the protector, which caused some microscratches on the rims.

2) Whenever you get new tires, you have to buy a new set of rim protectors. There is no way to get the tire off the wheel without damaging the rim protectors.

3) As an alternative, I would suggest you get the name of a really good local mobile wheel repair service. A friend of mine used one who charged $125 to come to his home and completely repair a wheel with severe curb rash.

Hope that helps,
Joe

Reactions: cardsdoc
Anyone have any recommendations for curb rash protection for the new 2024 M3P wheels? I traded in my 2021 M3 LR and definitely had a good amount of curb rash that I would like to avoid this time around.
You might try a wider tire. I just installed some 275/30R20 Bridgestone Potenza Sports on my 2018 M3P on 9.5" wide wheels. It's a good deal wider than the same sized S007s they replaced. I suspect it's about as wide a tire in this size you'll find. I don't know if the 235s are on the wider end as well, but if it is, it might offer better protection than the OE tires, even slightly stretched.

1000011494.jpg

Reactions: joebruin77
I actually never had an issue in over 30 yrs until my 2021 M3. The wheels are flush with tires and on occasion I ran into some issues parallel parking where on most other cars only the tire would hit the curb.
Suggest you ignore the windup merchants who have no interest in helping but prefer the sound of their own opinion. MAGA supporters no doubt!

Lot's of discussion on the subject here: Vendor - 🥳🥳GIVEAWAY! Teslaunch New Product Drop: Join Our Test Program

In summary, the wheel/tire combo is shockingly vulnerable. Why wait for the first contact with a kerb as opposed to fitting these in the hope they can prevent the almost inevitable accidental damage. I can vouch for the Teslaunch protectors but note that they should be seen as sacrificial items which 'may' prevent damage to the rim. If you hit a kerb with any force or for a prolonged run then your rim is getting damaged. End of.

• Disagree
Reactions: tone228
Backing into a parking space in a marked out car park is not the issue. Here in the UK we regularly need to parallel park into a space between two cars and of course, up against a kerb. That is where we get the problem. Neither cameras nor mirrors quite show the wheels enough to be helpful. The visualisation is now significantly better than it was although I'm still not convinced it can be completely trusted. The issue with the Uberturbine in particular is that the slightest brush of even a low kerb is immediate damage to the rim. No buffer. No margin of error. You can park 100 times and get it right then in effort 101 you make a tiny mistake and that's it - wheels ruined!

It's easy (and lazy) for people to say 'driver error' even though in principle that is of course correct. But I challenge those master drivers (there is one further back in this discussion topic) to try reversing into a parallel space, with just enough room front and rear to fit your car, and a queue of traffic forming on the road behind you waiting to get past. Seriously, give it a go and let me know which wheel repair shop you are using afterwards :D

I don't expect Elon to fix any of that but I do expect a car designer/manufacturer to take all of that into consideration when drawing up the wheel/tire combo.
If possible, back into spaces. The rear camera is excellent to keep you aligned and away from the curb.