Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealing with Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others, we've experienced curb rash on the Gemini wheels of our 2022 MYLR. The problem is due to the wheel rim sticking out further than the sidewall of the tire. One solution is to replace the 19X9.5 Gemini wheels with 19X8.5 wheels, but that is an expensive proposition. I've tried to ignore the damaged wheels but my eyes are drawn to them every time I walk by the car.

In researching the problem, I became aware of after-market wheel covers that cover the entire Gemini wheel, including the wheel rim. Thus, the rim damage is hidden. There are a lot of companies making these wheel covers, most of which are imported. They vary in price and quality. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. One company, Rimetrix, stood out from the others by offering covers with a two-step locking system that are made in the USA. I ordered the Rimetrix Medusa wheel covers, which have a nice Uberturbine look. Installation was quick and easy. Most importantly, the curb rash is no longer visible. I really like the black stealthy look and regret not having done it sooner.

The purpose of this post was not to push Rimetrix but to let others know that there is a low-cost solution to the curb rash problem with the added benefit of improving the looks of the car.

Reactions: lachambers
Herewith are some pics of the car with Rimetrix Medusa wheel covers, car with Gemini (OEM) wheel covers and curb rash on the two passenger-side wheels....

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The purpose of this post was not to push Rimetrix but to let others know that there is a low-cost solution to the curb rash problem with the added benefit of improving the looks of the car.
Well, a real low-cost solution is to try even harder to avoid the curb rash, after all, it’s free (as far as $ goes, costs you effort instead).

Not that I’ve had much success with that.

Reactions: E90alex
Like many others, we've experienced curb rash on the Gemini wheels of our 2022 MYLR. The problem is due to the wheel rim sticking out further than the sidewall of the tire. One solution is to replace the 19X9.5 Gemini wheels with 19X8.5 wheels, but that is an expensive proposition. I've tried to ignore the damaged wheels but my eyes are drawn to them every time I walk by the car.

In researching the problem, I became aware of after-market wheel covers that cover the entire Gemini wheel, including the wheel rim. Thus, the rim damage is hidden. There are a lot of companies making these wheel covers, most of which are imported. They vary in price and quality. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. One company, Rimetrix, stood out from the others by offering covers with a two-step locking system that are made in the USA. I ordered the Rimetrix Medusa wheel covers, which have a nice Uberturbine look. Installation was quick and easy. Most importantly, the curb rash is no longer visible. I really like the black stealthy look and regret not having done it sooner.

They look great!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I had Rimetrix on my M3. They're ok but very overpriced compared to comparable products out there. Also, it was very difficult to get the locking piece off without marring the plastic. I was able to use a jeweler's screwdriver to get way up under it, but don't expect any tire center or service center to be as careful. A regular flathead will almost certainly damage it to some degree.

I had Rimetrix on my M3. They're ok but very overpriced compared to comparable products out there. Also, it was very difficult to get the locking piece off without marring the plastic. I was able to use a jeweler's screwdriver to get way up under it, but don't expect any tire center or service center to be as careful. A regular flathead will almost certainly damage it to some degree.
If you’re getting curb rash, a few marks from tools shouldn’t matter, right?

While curb rash was the genesis of this thread, the stock aero covers look like crap, so curb rash isn't the only reason to find different wheel covers. The point is why pay more for a product that's more prone to damage?
Except, that’s the very reason for their existence, to take the damage instead of the wheel.

If your goal is aesthetic, then… this is the wrong product. It doesn’t look significantly different to warrant that kind of reason.

Except, that’s the very reason for their existence, to take the damage instead of the wheel.

If your goal is aesthetic, then… this is the wrong product. It doesn’t look significantly different to warrant that kind of reason.
I disagree. The very reason for wheel covers of differing designs is aesthetic. Protecting the wheel is secondary to me. I don't wanna pay tons of money for new wheels, but I'm not a huge fan of the design of the Gemini wheels by themselves. Wheel covers let me get a different look without spending the money that I would for completely new wheels.

Reactions: turnbowm

A way of avoiding damage when removing the center cap is shown starting at 3:45 in the video below....

Still not a great design. It's ok if you're the only one removing your covers, but if you take the car anywhere for any kind of service you have to be sure to tell them to be careful.
simple - as with all after market stuff. Don't assume the service company has any clue how to do anything other than their service.
How do you tell them to "be careful"? Give them written instructions? Send a video?
Alternatively, take responsibility for removing the covers yourself.
In practice these covers work great, the lock is there for a reason - to lock the cover in place without relying on the same spoke finish destroying techniques of the other cover types that use clips around the spokes. It would be a pretty poor lock if it just dropped out all the time.

Reactions: Scubamikey
simple - as with all after market stuff. Don't assume the service company has any clue how to do anything other than their service.
How do you tell them to "be careful"? Give them written instructions? Send a video?
Alternatively, take responsibility for removing the covers yourself.
In practice these covers work great, the lock is there for a reason - to lock the cover in place without relying on the same spoke finish destroying techniques of the other cover types that use clips around the spokes. It would be a pretty poor lock if it just dropped out all the time.
Having used both the Rimetrix and LASFIT that doesn't have the robust locking mechanism, my opinion is that the Rimitrix lock is unnecessary. The LASFIT covers I have do not scratch the wheels and I've removed them several times since buying them. They also have a tight fit and are holding up fine.

Rather than temporarily covering up the damage, it's actually very easy to fix most curb rash on the Model Y 19" Gemini rims with these repair products in less than an hour.
Good luck! 🙂

HaHa. That's brilliant. Protect the rims with the tires like every other manufacturer has been doing for years! You are one crazy dude. :D
Tires barely have anything to do with curb rash protection. Plenty of Accords, Camrys, Civics, Altimas out there with curbed wheels and fat tires on them. Go walk down a busy city street and look at all the parked cars. Curb rash is the norm, there are less cars with perfect wheels than curbed wheels, I can guarantee you that.

Curb rash is caused by the driver, not the wheel or tire.