Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom 21" Arachnid wheels -- your choice of color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a similar email last week from a sales advisor at Fremont who I had not worked with in the past:

"First off congratulations on the referral prize. Currently the referral program team is reviewing all the aggregated referral prizes that have been won and will reach out in the coming weeks to distribute them. This process takes some time because they review all the referral program prize candidates before distribution. Thank you for your patience in this matter."

• Informative
Reactions: DÆrik
I am getting nothing at all from my emails or verbals to the SC as to applicability to the Model X. I would like to use them on my X. If they are only for the S, I will have to find another home for them. Looking on the positive side, it might be another excuse for a delivery road trip!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this -- but if you take 2 sets, put the narrow rims on an S, and the wide rims on an X, you have a pretty good setup. Non-staggered for both, and a bit more tire for the X. The X may need new tires though, since the OD fitment they list is for the S.

Reactions: Cowby
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this -- but if you take 2 sets, put the narrow rims on an S, and the wide rims on an X, you have a pretty good setup. Non-staggered for both, and a bit more tire for the X. The X may need new tires though, since the OD fitment they list is for the S.

Great idea ... the OEM tire sizes should be fine for both the Model S and X. :cool:

Model S tires are 27.7"+/- diameter. Models X tires are 29.5"+/- diameter.
Good point ... the Model X runs a similar sidewall profile but they are 22" tires - Tire Sizes: Front 265/35-22, Rear 285/35-22.

Don't forget that model X tires are unique as they have the foam liner for sound deadening properties. I doubt they will have these tires for those rims.

The foam liners are available on both Model S and X tires. :cool:

Good point ... the Model X runs a similar sidewall profile but they are 22" tires - Tire Sizes: Front 265/35-22, Rear 285/35-22.

The foam liners are available on both Model S and X tires. :cool:

Makes sense. I'm interested in a set for the my X. 22" has too big a sacrifice and I'm not willing to spend the $ for forged. I have the 21" turbines for my s85 and 20" for my X. I feel the X is too big and bulbous for the rim size of 20".

No information coming in from Tesla, I won the wheels the first time around and hit 5 referrals all 5 of my referrals as of earlier this month took delivery. I called Tesla at least 4 times and they have no real information also send various email addresses notes no to avail. Only lead I received was once all 5 take delivery of their vehicles and once the 3rd quarter ends, Tesla will compile the list of owners who are receiving gifts and begin to contact and produce the wheels.

Furthermore, I received only an email to fill out what gifts I wanted and sizes, etc. I just hit 10 referrals for this referral period, sold my first pair and looking to put these up for sale as well. If anyone is interested please PM me, also the tax hit will be closer to 3200 not 2500 as someone mentioned earlier.

Hope, the information above helped someone. Once again looking to sell my incoming pair and you can still customize what color you'd like. Thank you!

What do you guys think the resale value of this wheel and tire set will be? I am considering whether to keep or sell them, as I have enough referrals. I need new tires any way, but a little worried about the long term range hit since I only have a 60.
The market value is 7600.00 think we can all agree to that, so off market would be roughly 75% of that. So 5500.00 or under is a great deal, anything more than that is a fair deal.

Now comes in the taxable value of these wheels, which winner will be liable for. For me personally I know I will be hit between 3200-3300, meaning if I sell them for 5200-5300 I walk away with 2k, so its keep the wheels or make 2k. With my first baby on the way I am opting to sell them. I believe if you have a 60, these wheels will likely help your range as they are lighter than even the 19" standards. So perhaps a few miles realized gain nothing more than 5 miles IMO.

Now comes in the taxable value of these wheels, which winner will be liable for. For me personally I know I will be hit between 3200-3300,

How do you know this? Has Tesla specifically told you that they are sending out 1099s and the value assigned to them for the wheels? So far nobody has received that information, so making a statement that that will be the tax liability I think is premature.

he market value is 7600.00 think we can all agree to that,

That is not the FMV.. that is the original MSRP. Since these wheels are now not even being sold, the FMV is up for re-evaluation.

Even if they assign a retail value of $7500 to the wheels, you always document an alternate FMV (what they are actually selling for) and only pay tax on that value.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The market value is 7600.00 think we can all agree to that, so off market would be roughly 75% of that. So 5500.00 or under is a great deal, anything more than that is a fair deal.

Now comes in the taxable value of these wheels, which winner will be liable for. For me personally I know I will be hit between 3200-3300, meaning if I sell them for 5200-5300 I walk away with 2k, so its keep the wheels or make 2k. With my first baby on the way I am opting to sell them. I believe if you have a 60, these wheels will likely help your range as they are lighter than even the 19" standards. So perhaps a few miles realized gain nothing more than 5 miles IMO.

Thanks for this info. $5500 can buy a nice set of 19" rims and tires with some $ left over. That sure make it tempting to sell.

Fortunately for us north of the boarder we don't have to worry about the taxable value. All prize winnings are tax free up here. That goes for the wheels and big lottery wins. :)

How do you know this? Has Tesla specifically told you that they are sending out 1099s and the value assigned to them for the wheels? So far nobody has received that information, so making a statement that that will be the tax liability I think is premature.

That is not the FMV.. that is the original MSRP. Since these wheels are now not even being sold, the FMV is up for re-evaluation.

Even if they assign a retail value of $7500 to the wheels, you always document an alternate FMV (what they are actually selling for) and only pay tax on that value.

Hank this without question will have a taxable value associated with it, indeed no one received any paperwork because none have been even set for delivery or pickup. You wouldnt receive paperwork prior to actually attaining the item. I hit 10 referrals for this period and 5 for the period before, however even with the earlier period I am likely several months away from actually securing the products.

I'm not sure with the 10 referrals if one gets the wheels AND the invite to the party so to speak?

Ahhh...Didn't think I would ONLY get the package? But now I'm not sure anymore...

upload_2016-9-29_13-46-13.png

Hank this without question will have a taxable value associated with it, indeed no one received any paperwork because none have been even set for delivery or pickup. You wouldnt receive paperwork prior to actually attaining the item. I hit 10 referrals for this period and 5 for the period before, however even with the earlier period I am likely several months away from actually securing the products.

I don't think you're reading or understanding what I wrote. I didn't say it won't have a taxable value associated with it. Of course it will. And you're not going to get "paperwork" with delivery with regards to the FMV -- but you will probably get a 1099 in the mail the year after you take delivery of the prize (like most 1099s). If Tesla ships the first round of wheels by the end of this year, we'll get 1099s next year. And for the second round, if Tesla ships those in early 2017, you won't get those 1099s until 2018. It actually has nothing to do with getting paperwork at the time of delivery.

Many people have already asked Tesla what is their intention on the taxability of the prizes. Nobody was actually asking for tax forms in advance of prize delivery. But it would be good to know exactly what Tesla is going to do with regards to sending out 1099s and the value they will assign long before they actually send out the tax forms in 2017 or 2018.

And as I said above, since it clearly bears repeating -- the value that Tesla assigns is still up for reevaluation and adjustment to the actual FMV of the prize... you don't have to blindly go along with the value Tesla assigns on the 1099, you can file a FMV adjustment as long as you have evidence to back it up. Or you can just pay the full tax if you want to.

As an example to back up Hank's post, several years ago I won a 52" LCD TV from NewEgg. In the contest, they put a value of the prize at $2500. I received the TV and then the following year, I received the 1099. The 1099 that NewEgg sent claimed the prize value was $2500. I kept track of the price of the TV throughout the year and know it was only $1900 when I won it...and $1500 when I actually received it several months later. When filing my taxes, I claimed the actual value of the prize was only $1500 and only had to pay taxes on that amount.

Now in the case of the Arachnid wheels, Tesla may claim the prize value to be $7600 but if they aren't selling them then nobody can actually pay the actual prize value. If the going rate turns out to be closer to $5500 you mentioned then I would claim that as the value and pay taxes on the $5500 instead of the $7600. Of course you can still pay taxes on the $7600 value if you like.