Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customizable trunk open height for home v/s elsewhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you can set a max open height for the trunk, but it would be really nice if you could set one height for your "home" and max for everywhere else. My garage has a low ceiling (I think its 8ft) so I've set my trunk to open much lower than it can, but I always end up bumping my head (I'm 5' 10") on it when loading/unloading. This is quite an annoyance as you can imagine. Given this is a software controlled feature, and the car already knows the home location, it should be trivial for Tesla to support a feature like this.

I know you can set a max open height for the trunk, but it would be really nice if you could set one height for your "home" and max for everywhere else. My garage has a low ceiling (I think its 8ft) so I've set my trunk to open much lower than it can, but I always end up bumping my head (I'm 5' 10") on it when loading/unloading. This is quite an annoyance as you can imagine. Given this is a software controlled feature, and the car already knows the home location, it should be trivial for Tesla to support a feature like this.
I couldn't agree more. I have the same issue in my garage and have hit my head twice. I second the suggestion to have multiple settings so you can have a separate setting when you're away from home.

Reactions: shivaas
Something as important as the trunk opening height should and must fail safe and be as simple and reliable as possible. Unless Tesla engineers can guarantee 100% reliability I prefer to keep it as it is. That said when out shopping I manually raise the trunk to its highest position when I need to use it.
Also I have it set to about one inch lower than the garage door when the door is in the up position and still bump my head occasionally.

I always end up bumping my head (I'm 5' 10") on it when loading/unloading.
Sorry to one-up you but I'm setting a Tesla record for banging head into trunk. Picked my Model Y 2 days ago and banged my head 6 times so far.
Excuses: My garage has a low ceiling, I'm much taller than my wife, and I never learn from my mistakes.
Other than my aching head I love the car.

I had questions, can it be "forced" to whatever position without damaging it?

Yes you can set the position without damaging it. From the owner's manual...

You can adjust the opening height of the powered liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):

1) Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
2) Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.

Yes you can set the position without damaging it. From the owner's manual...

You can adjust the opening height of the powered liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):

1) Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
2) Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.

Thank you, I maybe did't write question very well.

I meant with your position set, can you still use your hand and push it all the way open any time etc. When I did it if felt very, very stiff like I was "forcing" it to move to where i wanted it.

Sorry to one-up you but I'm setting a Tesla record for banging head into trunk. Picked my Model Y 2 days ago and banged my head 6 times so far.
Excuses: My garage has a low ceiling, I'm much taller than my wife, and I never learn from my mistakes.
Other than my aching head I love the car.

Ouch. We could make this a game but it would be painful for both of us

Reactions: Rg3500
I believe that an expert on all things Tesla stated the trunk lift module is not connected to the computers, so not possible.

how does the app and screen control work then ? It obviously can send open/close commands to the module, so hopefully they didn’t make it dumb enough to only be restricted to just those commands. Maybe we should ask Munro to do a tear down of the trunk module :)

how does the app and screen control work then ? It obviously can send open/close commands to the module, so hopefully they didn’t make it dumb enough to only be restricted to just those commands. Maybe we should ask Munro to do a tear down of the trunk module :)
Up and down commands obviously work. The setting for hatch cover height, however, is not under control outside of its manual settings.