Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Height Adjust Trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the exact height the top of the trunk will be at it's fullest opening?

Will the trunk really just hit whatever is on top of it if it's too low? Is there no sensor to stop it from going too high?

My garage has a roof hanging storage, and I think it's too low, but I could adjust it. But for now I probably will need to height adjust it to ensure it doesn't hit the garage. I'm wondering if there is a GPS option to have the height set when I'm at home.

My friend in LA has covered parking so should I be aware to not let it open all the way? It's one of those building complexes where a bunch of cars share one parking spot and his spot happens to have covering, and it could be kind of low. What about most parking garages? I think most modern parking garages for shopping centers should be tall enough but sometimes they got pipes or support beams that hang lower than the roof. Will I have to be aware if I ever go to apartment complexes or shared parking spots that may have some kind of roof above a car?

I just want to avoid any possibility of damaging my trunk because it hit something that was too low. I don't know all scenarios right now, but I know it's my garage, shopping centers, my friend's house in LA that has covered parking. Or any apartment complex that may have some kind of roof over parking. It would be nice if there is a sensor for the trunk but I don't see anything about one being there.

Is there any way to stop the trunk before it hit something? I see videos of people pulling it down before it hit something above it and it should stop. But what about if you opened it from the app or the screen, can you make it stop if you press it again? With the Model 3 I never had to worry about my trunk hitting the top of anything but now it seems with the Model Y automatic trunk you have to be careful where you open it.

I guess I will height adjust it, but what's a safe height for most situations? If I do open it somewhere I'm unsure of, can I just pull down on the trunk while in motion to make it stop? I just got my Tesla Model Y and I would like to avoid this as long as possible.

Here is my solution. This is pipe insulation used for copper hot water pipes.
IMG_0346.jpeg

I mounted it on the verticle frame. This works when the door is up and the trunk is raised

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

Then I put clear baby edge guards at the center. This is effective when the door is closed and the trunk hits the track of the garage door. I didn’t adjust the truck as it would be too low.

Open the trunk and then stop it from opening into the object manually. Next hold the trunk close button for 3-5sec (it should ding) to set the open stop height. The next time you open the trunk it will stop before fully opening.

Unfortunately, the height cannot be set by location that I am aware of.

There was one time I came **THIS** close to hitting a sprinkler pipe in a Target parking lot. I had set the height a bit lower for the wife, and thank god because it would have smashed into pipe at max setting.

Scared me enough to always look at parking garages or anywhere with a ceiling!

From the online owner's manual.

Maybe consider a "minimum" height to set it. Then, if you have room, just push it up a bit more.
I'll bet a great many Ys are damaged when new owners open the hatch in their garages for the first time. Almost happened to me... I had to grab it before it hit the garage door. I set the height and it also works for the parking garage at work. If I need it open wider, I just push it fully open, like you said.

Reactions: Art84