Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck drivetrain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: I found similar information in a quote from the guess the kWh thread. However, I added explanations for my speculation.

I believe the Model 3/Y RWD motor will be used on the RWD Cybertruck. It is used in the Semi so it is proven in heavy load situations. I also plugged in 330 hp, 5500 pounds RWD with a dual clutch transmission and came up with a 6.5 0-60. Using 4000 pounds (the weight of LR RWD 3 with a passenger) it spit out 5.1 seconds.

And for even more simplicity, Tesla can use the LR battery too. The closest I could find for gasoline cars with similar drivetrains was Dodge vehicles. The 2WD Charger and RAM have the same combined mpg. This is true for both the 6 and 8 cylinder versions.

The difference in range from an LR RWD 3 to a Cybertruck RWD would be 325 to 250 miles. I think an EPA rating of 250 is possible considering an S vs. X rating is 373 vs. 328 miles. The relative difference in weight and size is greater but so is the difference in range. The EPA test has a slow average speed so aerodynamics will play a smaller part than most people would think. Of course real world range would be different.

Using existing drive units and batteries would make it really easy to produce the Cybertruck. It would also significantly reduce capital investment and manufacturing costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 365gtb4