Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y to 3 (Highland)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ag21

M3 SR/Wht/Wht->Blk/18 OD:2/13 DD: 4/5 Texas
Dec 14, 2022
Houston
A friend may want my summer 2023 white Model Y. With pricing falling off a cliff (car might bring $40k max after purchase price around $50k), I’m going to be hesitant to move it anytime soon. Wanted to get some input on anyone who has driven a Y and the new Highland 3 about the following. Thanks in advance!

1. For pricing and my daily city driver use, RWD is plenty (range isn’t a concern). Will my LR Y be noticeably different drive compared to RWD 3? (Plan to test drive soon but not sure I will get to get both RWD and LR)
2. I like look of alcantara (compared to RWD interior highlights) and option of the upgraded sound system but I’m not sure that’s worth anywhere near $8k upgrade since the battery range isn’t a huge concern for me.

The 3 will feel (and be) significantly smaller inside than the Y. If you frequently have adult passengers in the rear seat, or carry lots of or bulky cargo, the 3 might not serve your needs well. I own a Y and have seat time in the 3 and I like things about both but for our needs the Y was the one to choose as our family truckster.

The other big issue as @EVRider-FL pointed out is the lack of stalks in the Highland. I haven't driven one yet and I'm sure I'd get used to it but I don't see how it's better from a driver's perspective.

Reactions: Patrick_TX and ag21
Did and overnight in the RWD (gray) last night and it felt just as smooth and quiet (maybe ever quieter) as my current LR Y.

If I make the jump, just need to decide on black seats vs white. In Texas the cooled seats might help black interior in the summer, but I have always been a fan of the white seats.

Tesla (Texas) is now telling me they register everything so I can no longer register with county myself to show my trade to the state and save on sales tax (new car roughly $42k and selling Y for $40k). This might be a deal breaker for me. Anyone heard about this?

As an aside, their offer was $36k for my car.

Did and overnight in the RWD (gray) last night and it felt just as smooth and quiet (maybe ever quieter) as my current LR Y.

If I make the jump, just need to decide on black seats vs white. In Texas the cooled seats might help black interior in the summer, but I have always been a fan of the white seats.
White seats rock...esp. with the grey paint...(I'm definitely biased as this is my daily!)

Reactions: Mercimek and ag21
@ag21 I just made this jump yesterday and I may jump back if I can get the same deal. Here’s what happened:

I ordered a new inventory model y with 11 miles on it (gray ‘24 white seats) and was 100% sold on it for a lot of reasons. Tax credit, referral credit, good down payment, free super charging for 2 years.

I got there, saw it. Felt excited, then before I took delivery I had this feeling to try model 3 highland RWD. I test drove both an MYLR and M3RWD highland and drove home with the highland but now I feel some regret about it and am thinking of swapping them again. I got lucky in that the local Tesla place had a highland that was another persons car that they couldn’t take delivery on.

The M3 Highland is a better driving car by a long shot. The RWD was so good I thought I was in the LR. The handling, road feel, newer tech, it was all great. I instantly felt I liked that car much better.

When I drove the Y I felt older, heavier, regen braking not as on point, more noise and road feel that bothered me. Plus I noticed an echo in the interior that would add to highway noise and when talking with my GF while we were test driving.

I couldn’t get over how much better the new M3 felt. I was excepting an “eh it’s ok but not THAT much better” feeling with the M3. The new M3 is THAT much better and when those refinements come to the Y it will be a wonderful vehicle.

Those of you into good audio WILL notice and will car about the difference in sound between LR and RWD. The sound system in my old ‘18 M3LR sounds much better to me than the RWD M3 highland.

This was a hard choice (and I was lucky they let me swap them and had a RWD right there) and I’m still unsettled (after sleeping on it) because I had plans to use the Y maybe for about 20% of my time with it as an SUV to take onto light forest roads and camp sites for overnight car camping and to use that free super charging for 2 years. Free FSD to mess with for 3 months just because. Plus, now that I slept on it realized with $8500 off the price of the MYLR I ordered I could have traded it or sold it without risk of loosing much, if any money, for the updated Y.

So, I traded that SUV experience and all those perks for a much better driving machine.

Here’s the biggest surprise: I drove 3.5 hours home from Tesla yesterday 75-85 mph from Liberty Lake, Wa to Montana over mountains.

I got home with 7% battery left. This car is efficient, like seriously.

I understand the MY is a larger and heavier vehicle. But once it gets the efficiency gains driving upgrades of the highland platform I think it’ll be better than the 3 overall unless someone really really prefers the driving dynamics and looks of the smaller sedan.

If I keep the 3 and try to trade up in 25/26, I will most def lose a good chuck of money and another reason I bought the Y with all those perks was to save money and put myself in a better position.

Now, if I do keep the 3 it’ll be my long term car because it is a very nice driving machine and is way more efficient and a nicer drive than I was expecting.

I feel like I traded a good set of perks and some new life experiences (car camping) and a better upgrade position for the current “new hotness” because it was right there and I emotionally reacted to how much better it drove and felt than the current MYLR.

Personal PS: I’m a little annoyed/disappointed with myself about this whole thing because I’m trying to train myself to think long term and stick to a long term plan as part of my treatment plan for ADHD that I’m struggling with at the moment - “my people” often have that issue and we need to learn that skill amoung others as adults as part of treatment with meds and such.

I was willing to drive a ratty 2012 Prius for a couple of years, I think I would have been fine with the MYLR and kept those perks and life experiences 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: ag21
@Jstar97, REALLY appreciate the thoughtful and thorough post. I went from S to Y and awaiting white/white 3 here in a few weeks. The “drive” part compared to the Y was what I was most worried about since I’ve never driven a 3 outside of testing the new RWD. (The tax credit wasn’t going to help me on the Y, so I was basically looking at this like a $50k vehicle vs $40k.)

Our “family car” is a minivan so our older two can easily hop into 3 with me. What you’ve said about the drive really helps my mind on the switch. I was feeling really bounced around on my city drives recently in the Y which surprised me after 6-8 months of having it. It also was fairly loud like you said. Excited for this new 3 since I’ve always liked the look of the 3 over Y and hopefully it suits me better than the Y over time.

Reactions: Jstar97
@Jstar97, REALLY appreciate the thoughtful and thorough post. I went from S to Y and awaiting white/white 3 here in a few weeks. The “drive” part compared to the Y was what I was most worried about since I’ve never driven a 3 outside of testing the new RWD. (The tax credit wasn’t going to help me on the Y, so I was basically looking at this like a $50k vehicle vs $40k.)

Our “family car” is a minivan so our older two can easily hop into 3 with me. What you’ve said about the drive really helps my mind on the switch. I was feeling really bounced around on my city drives recently in the Y which surprised me after 6-8 months of having it. It also was fairly loud like you said. Excited for this new 3 since I’ve always liked the look of the 3 over Y and hopefully it suits me better than the Y over time.
If you don’t give a *sugar* about the perks I mentioned you will enjoy driving the new M3 better than the current MYLR for certain.

For me, with incentives on the MYLR both cars were the same out the door price and financing deal. Most of my time with the M3 will be in fair-ish weather at 55+ MPH. But that other 20% I now can’t do (more rough roads, car camping stuff) bothers me more than I thought.

If all one cares about is driving dynamics, the new M3 wins by a long shot compared to current MYLR.

The performance M3 I’m sure will be hella fun. And if it comes with tax credit, very popular IMO.

Have a MYP and test drove a RWD. When driving, the new car seems much better put together. Going over sharp bumps the whole car feels more solid and of a higher quality. Suspension is definitely softer than my MYP but it still seems to handle well and long as you’re not being too aggressive with the cornering.

I went through a similar debate. Needed a new daily driver and went in with the intent of getting a small suv hybrid or electric car. Ended up test driving the 23 or 24 MYLR. Took a few test drives and did an overnight with the 24MYLR (slightly more comfortable than the 23 version). Was about to pull the trigger then on a whim I tested the 24 M3LR. 3 tests later and I placed an order. Received it about a week ago and have no regrets! Family loves the ride, kids (tweens) love the rear screen and seats. Spouse and I love the smooth ride, handling and acceleration. The stalkless turning signals work fine but takes some getting used to. I actually love the stalkless gear shift.

A friend may want my summer 2023 white Model Y. With pricing falling off a cliff (car might bring $40k max after purchase price around $50k), I’m going to be hesitant to move it anytime soon. Wanted to get some input on anyone who has driven a Y and the new Highland 3 about the following. Thanks in advance!

1. For pricing and my daily city driver use, RWD is plenty (range isn’t a concern). Will my LR Y be noticeably different drive compared to RWD 3? (Plan to test drive soon but not sure I will get to get both RWD and LR)
2. I like look of alcantara (compared to RWD interior highlights) and option of the upgraded sound system but I’m not sure that’s worth anywhere near $8k upgrade since the battery range isn’t a huge concern for me.
These are two different types of vehicle. The Y is a crossover that sits higher, has more interior room and storage, and a hatchback. It’s a more practical vehicle. The new 3 rides better, is quieter, and is more efficient, but it’s a sedan so no hatchback. You might want to keep the Y and see what they do with the reengineered Model Y in the next couple of years. Sounds like you just got your Model Y 2023.

We have been considering trading to a Model S LR from our 2022 MPY. I have been able to compare a friends 2022 LR S directly to my 2022 MYP whenever the mood strikes and while we love the Y (this is our second Y) the S is a more more sophisticated, “buttoned down”, it just feels MORE SUBSTANTIAL. At 72 and taking 4 long road trips a year, the quieter cabin/smoother ride have bubbled to the top of our list of requirements. So the new LR 3 has jumped to the top of our list for our next Tesla, but I do love the MYP’s performance so we are holding off until the LR 3 gets the Performance Boost back. If not the new Ludicrous 3 with smaller tires could work for us. We replaced the 21” wheels on our MYP with some 18s from TSportLine and that created a brand new Y. A better Y. So that is an option we’d consider for the Ludicrous 3. Decisions Decisions.

Reactions: tm1v2