Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cycling discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
Don't have much to add, but both my wife and I have experienced coal rolling and aggressive pickups in our 3/Y pre-pandemic. Once it was even predictable "watch, this guy is going to coal roll"... (Texas).

I did notice more anti-social driving behavior this summer but chalked that up to general increased frustration and unhappiness vs. anti Tesla/EV.
I get coal rolled from time to time here in central NJ while riding my bicycle

I’ve had it happen a few times biking. Some of the roads here are very narrow and we get bike groups 40 ppl deep taking over complete lanes. It’s super frustrating so I get the animosity. They can cause traffic jams doing that. Should find a greenway or choose a route with bike lanes. It’s not safe for anyone, and then yeah u get to deal with coal rollers

I rarely ride with with someone else and it's pretty rare around here for a bike path. And the few that are here, well none go to the grocery store for instance.

My opinion is that if they want the road to themselves, they should be paying for the road.

If it's not safe that is because of people, inattentive drivers (and cyclists), etc. As for group rides, well they ought to enforce the law. At least in NJ, you can only ride two abreast and that is if there is no traffic. Otherwise, the law requires single file.

Reactions: MrWattson
@spokey - you are near me and i have had folks get aggressive on Sunday mornings in the past on some quiet roads - off the beaten path - in town. It stinks as I keep to the shoulder and don't hog the road on my bicycle. But I have had cars pass very closely while blaring the horn just to harass. Even with no other bikes or cars on a two-lane semi-farm road.

That being said, I just saw a group ride out on Dukes Pkwy W last weekend, of about 8-10 bikes, taking the whole freaking lane. That behavior just stirs the bike-hating crowd.

I have recently taken to riding the canal path more than the roads.

@spokey - you are near me and i have had folks get aggressive on Sunday mornings in the past on some quiet roads - off the beaten path - in town. It stinks as I keep to the shoulder and don't hog the road on my bicycle. But I have had cars pass very closely while blaring the horn just to harass. Even with no other bikes or cars on a two-lane semi-farm road.

That being said, I just saw a group ride out on Dukes Pkwy W last weekend, of about 8-10 bikes, taking the whole freaking lane. That behavior just stirs the bike-hating crowd.

I have recently taken to riding the canal path more than the roads.
The police should cite those riders. A few court mandatory appearances checked on a citation might straighten out their behavior.

I agree that the group rides only incites those although probably more those inclined to be haters anyway. I'd also ticket them for blowing through stop signs and red lights. But then they don't ticket auto drivers for that anymore either.

I am riding less on the road these days as well for rec riding. Obviously have to use the road to go to the store. But I've been spending a couple days a week at Duke Farms. About 3.25 miles on the outer loop. Bought a nice Kuat NV2 rack to cart the bikes around.

I haven't done the canal this year. I used to ride from my house to millstone and come back from either blackwells mills or griggs town but I guess I should think about driving there. How's the towpath in those parts currently?

I do Dukes on Saturday mornings as well :)

Canal is in good shape. I usually try to offload the bike at Amwell Rd. but that lot is often full and i shoot down to Blackwells. Either way, the path is in good shape for riding and crowds are fine.

I do Dukes on Saturday mornings as well :)

Canal is in good shape. I usually try to offload the bike at Amwell Rd. but that lot is often full and i shoot down to Blackwells. Either way, the path is in good shape for riding and crowds are fine.
If you're trying to use just the parking lot by the tow path, there is another one around the corner. From the towpath parking lot, it you look east, you can see a small playground kind of behind the rescue squad (I think that is what it is) building. There is another parking lot there. Not too big but probably 2 to 3 times the size of the lot right at the tow path. OTOH, the Blackwells MIlls & Griggstown ones are never more than 1/4 full when I go by.

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson