Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just experienced some road rage and honked the horn during the process. I have all the files up to the honking but nothing afterwards. I can't see any files after the honk. Where are these files? Also why does Tesla relabel all the folder files to the same date as that makes this very confusing when sorting out files by date?

I want to report the incident because the person followed her home but can't see the license place until he pulls around her and those are the missing files.

when you honk it only saves the "most recent 10 minutes". It's explained in the User's Manual here. In my experience, it will keep recording even after honk for about a minute, but not more than that. Anytime there is an incident I want to save, I make sure to honk or press the dashcam icon again a few min later or remember to pull the usb stick at the end of the drive.

Even though It's always recording the last hour the car was on you have to pull the drive within that hour or it will be lost. Even if you turn off the car immediately and then start it up the next morning, it will immediately delete anything that's more than 1h old.

Upvote 0
WHY doesn't the car allow you to email or otherwise transfer video files wirelessly, without futzing around with these hokey sneakernet solutions?
WHY doesn't the car allow you to download .mp3 files onto the mounted USB memory's audio folder(s)?
WHY doesn't Tesla have an officially-supported "suggestion box"? I swear, if the only avenue of communication from customers they allow is the "schedule service" feature of their app, I feel like I should start submitting obvious design defects like the above as "service issues".

Upvote 0
WHY doesn't the car allow you to email or otherwise transfer video files wirelessly, without futzing around with these hokey sneakernet solutions?
WHY doesn't the car allow you to download .mp3 files onto the mounted USB memory's audio folder(s)?
Because there is not a lot of demand for these features and Tesla has much bigger fish to fry.

WHY doesn't Tesla have an officially-supported "suggestion box"? I swear, if the only avenue of communication from customers they allow is the "schedule service" feature of their app, I feel like I should start submitting obvious design defects like the above as "service issues".
For many years Twitter was the officially supported suggestion box. Many cool features such as dog mode and sentry mode were first suggested there. The fact that these features were added after the cars were released also helps explain why they are not as fully polished as they could/should be. One of the great things about Tesla was that Elon listened to suggestions and often implemented them.

I would love it if I could download sentry mode clips via wifi. OTOH, there are probably 10 or more features I would like much more and would be more useful to me. Such as:
  • Improve the crappy Spotify App
  • Fix the darned web browser (Elon admits it's crap)
  • Add a YouTube Music app
  • Fix the Disney+ crash problem
  • Provide much better logging of all my trips
  • Report what percentage of my driving is on AP/FSD
The list could go on and on. Of course the biggest fish to fry is getting FSD to do what has been promised. Elon said (perhaps hyperbolically) that the fate of the company rests and getting FSD to work. I've come to accept that other software development will take a backseat to work on FSD.

Yes, the customer service and response to suggestions by Tesla can really suck. This is partly due to their crazy exponential growth. Within the past year a Tesla VP said maintaining exponential growth at these levels is really painful:

Upvote 0
Because there is not a lot of demand for these features
(referring to wireless file transfer to/from in-car USB media).
Yeah? How would they know? They don't ask, and seemingly have stopped monitoring fora such as this. Extrapolating from my own experience, I'd guess that a fair few users just despair of ever being heard, and keep their ideas to themselves.

For many years Twitter was the officially supported suggestion box. Many cool features such as dog mode and sentry mode were first suggested there. The fact that these features were added after the cars were released also helps explain why they are not as fully polished as they could/should be. One of the great things about Tesla was that Elon listened to suggestions and often implemented them.

Yes, I'd heard of those days. It doesn't count as official in my book, though unless there's a link to a tweet-to-Elon bot under tesla.com .

I've come to accept that other software development will take a backseat to work on FSD.

Yes, the customer service and response to suggestions by Tesla can really suck. This is partly due to their crazy exponential growth.
In exactly the same way that a policy of internally "taxing" vehicle sales revenue to fund the expansion of the Supercharger network lets it keep pace with the growing population of Tesla drivers, there should be similar provisions to fund service organizations and software/feature development teams. The huge installed base could make the returns on development effort enormous.

Upvote 0