Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Recommendation (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dashcam Installation

I was in a very nasty head-on collision back on May 4. So bad that I'm still in a cervical collar and probably will be until Labor Day. Still haven't driven my Model 3 that was delivered at the end of May.

On a whim, I had installed a $99 dashcam in my old car, a Lexus 450H. I captured the entire sequence of events of our accident for which the California Highway Patrol were particularly thankful. (The other driver was arrested immediately after leaving the hospital.)

Bottom line: I'm a believer in dashcams. So for the Model 3 I did some research and decided on the BlackVue DR900S-2CH 4K model and I opted for a professional installation. After more research, I selected the guys from Calibred Customs to do the job. They do the work out of their cars and do a *lot* of Tesla installations.

I couldn't be happier with the results. The guys opened up all sorts of trim panels to install the wiring. They're very aware of Tesla's design so they don't interfere with airbags, etc. Super clean install and nice, courteous guys. I had them do a few extra things and ended up paying just a little more than $1,000 including the cameras. There was one minor problem, for which they returned and fully corrected everything. Highly recommended!

• Helpful
Reactions: Les Mann and P85_DA
What power source did you/they use? BlackVue battery? Hardwired to 12V battery? Or just simply plugged into the cigarette lighter? Have you seen/heard of the reports of the 12V battery pushing errors after a few months of hardwired use? I have a BlackVue that I'm looking to install as soon as I get my Model 3, but I have yet to figure out how I'm going to install it.