Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 dashcam option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

got my CPO 2016 AP1 with MCU2 Model x for over a week now.
Everything is great and cool, but i do want to install a dashcam.
The car windshield is so nice that i don't want to add an eyesore so i did much research to see what were my options, and i ended up to decide to go with the AP track and install a blackvue.

Issue is that i just found that my track for the AP wire is glue on (instead of taps like some video i can find on you tube). Do you know once i remove it what kind of tape should i purchase to stick it back?

did i miss another option ? i have seen IRO or COZERO integrated Cam but can't seems to find AP1 Model x, beside, i can't really find much review for it.

Lastly, if i want to tap the power is there a good location that one can recommend? or should i just plug it in the 12v outlet? if tap is recommended, how did you tap it? (scotch tap?)

thank you so much in advance everyone!

...Do you know once i remove it what kind of tape should i purchase to stick it back?...
I would just use the included anchors and run the cables alongside. That doesn't look professional but no headache in figuring out how to disasseble the camera assembly, the cable assembly, and the rearview mirror.
...tap the power...

I would plug into the OBDII port.

My Blackvue, both front and back cams, sit pretty much out of sight (from a driver’s perspective, anyway). I did my install myself after watching a few YouTube videos. Unless your X is different than mine (I have an AP2/2017), I was able to simply pop the roof track (leading to the rear view mirror) off, run the wires inside, and snap back on. I tapped into the power from a source near the left footwell (see video). This video is pretty good at explaining it all but there are plenty of others.

Reactions: woodychau
I too just got a Tesla Model X from 2016 and feel it would be nice to have a dash cam like my TM3 has. I have been checking out this one:

I spent three hours talking to them yesterday as the video above looks JUST like my car but they insist that they don't have a camera for my car. I am able to take the plugs apart just like in the video. I would hope that someone makes a way to tap power from the mirror for accessories.

Any suggestions on a good camera for an old car w/o the built in cameras?

Issue is that i just found that my track for the AP wire is glue on (instead of taps like some video i can find on you tube). Do you know once i remove it what kind of tape should i purchase to stick it back?

thank you so much in advance everyone!
That track comes apart. The cover is removable and snaps back on to the base, which is glued to the glass. there is a spacer inside that can be removed, allowing for additional wires to be installed.

Reactions: israndy