Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard display crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I just took the delivery of a model 3 about 3 days ago. Yesterday suddenly while I was parking in the garage, my car’s dashboard display froze. I restarted the car and the display started working again. I am worried that it might happen while the car is on FSD.

Does it often happen or I have a lemon?

Regards
S

Can't speak for the 3, however. i have did a reboot on our X while on the highway with AP on and all worked well with no A/P issue. The only thing that stops working is the HVAC inside the cabin along with your streaming music. Reason for the reboot was the energy trip screen was showing data of previous leg of travel.

No problem, it is a commonly uncommon event that you'll see posted on the forums. It's just the display computer, all other function, except radio, should continue to function, even FSD will just keep right on driving.
The number of occurrences has been known to vary with software updates.

Thanks!!! How do I reboot the MCU/dashboard while driving?

Regards
S
Reboot the car: press the brake down then press both scroll bars simultaneously.
Thanks!!! How do I reboot the MCU/dashboard while driving?

Regards
S
Reboot / Power Off Procedures
Try these steps in this order, most issues can be solved by a basic reboot:
- Soft reboot: Hold down both steering wheel scroll buttons until the screen goes black and continue holding them down until the Tesla logo shows. Then let go of them.
- Hard reboot: Hold down both steering wheel scroll buttons AND press down on the brake pedal until the screen goes black and continue holding them down until the Tesla logo shows. Then let go of the scroll buttons and the brakes.

Power Off/On: Under vehicle controls --> Safety and Security --> Power Off. Then wait 2.5-3 minutes before stepping on the brake to start it again.

We had to do this four or five times in a row when our main battery failed. It worked each time, even thought the error we were getting said that the car may not start again.

Tesla service stressed that we needed to wait at least the 2.5 minutes before powering our M3 up again.

(And I've seen some posts suggesting that you should unplug your USB drive but I can't speak to that)

Good luck!