Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam not recording 10 mins. when honking horn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I thought when you honk the horn, the dashcam would save 10 minutes. It's only saving 5 seconds. Is there a setting that I'm missing?
It doesn't actually save footage. What it does is move 10 minutes of footage prior to honking from the RecentClips folder to the SavedClips folder. If there was no footage in your RecentClips folder when you honked, then it would move no footage. If there was only 5 seconds of footage it would move 5 seconds.

The way dashcam works is that it continuously records 1 minute (actually 59 second) clips into RecentClips folder. It deletes clips older than 1 hour. Pressing the horn or icon to save clips actually only moves 10 minutes of clips to the SavedClips folder. All this will become obvious if you take your drive/card out of your car and look at what is saved on a computer.

I've seen many accounts where the action of saving footage (whether from horn or other means) means that clip corrupts or part of it is skipped. This has caused many cases where the most critical moment is gone. As such it benefits to only press the horn (or press save) after about a minute since the event passes.

It doesn't actually save footage. What it does is move 10 minutes of footage prior to honking from the RecentClips folder to the SavedClips folder. If there was no footage in your RecentClips folder when you honked, then it would move no footage. If there was only 5 seconds of footage it would move 5 seconds.

The way dashcam works is that it continuously records 1 minute (actually 59 second) clips into RecentClips folder. It deletes clips older than 1 hour. Pressing the horn or icon to save clips actually only moves 10 minutes of clips to the SavedClips folder. All this will become obvious if you take your drive/card out of your car and look at what is saved on a computer.

I've seen many accounts where the action of saving footage (whether from horn or other means) means that clip corrupts or part of it is skipped. This has caused many cases where the most critical moment is gone. As such it benefits to only press the horn (or press save) after about a minute since the event passes.
I have it set to save on honk. When I was driving home from work one day, I honked the horn when someone went through a red light. When I checked the footage it wasn't there. It was only there after I honked the horn. It takes me 10-15 minutes to get home so it should have had all footage from when I left work.