Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry off - Dashcam set on auto - Clips are saved even if I don't ask for it!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I try to understand if this is intended behaviour or there is something buggy going on.
I have Sentry off all the time and Dashcam set on manual (before I had it on auto, same thing).

As I understood is normal to have a bunch of 1 minute clips in the RecentClips folder as the dashcam continously records.
However, my SavedClips folder is full of timestamp folders with 1 minute clips from different cameras and timestamps. As far as I know, clips should be saved here ONLY if I trigger the dashcam. I don't understand why the vehicle saves clips automatically, without detecting incidents or me asking to save it.

I have also noticed that all saved clips are starting when I get into the car and drive off. There are no clips with the car sitting idle on parking, it only saves clips when I am in the car, I drive off and on the road.
Udklip.2PNG.PNG

Thank you in advance for your help.

I recommend just reformatting the drive. As long as you don’t use the usb stick for music as well.

Tesla seems to change how often and when saved clips exist. The are not really for you. You should set up the option to save video with a honk. Then if you need a dashcam video you can “save” them.

It’s risky to trust Tesla to remain the same with default settings. They change computer behavior often every two months. So your choice to control the sentry system is the better practice.

Upvote 0
Hi folks,

I try to understand if this is intended behaviour or there is something buggy going on.
I have Sentry off all the time and Dashcam set on manual (before I had it on auto, same thing).

As I understood is normal to have a bunch of 1 minute clips in the RecentClips folder as the dashcam continously records.
However, my SavedClips folder is full of timestamp folders with 1 minute clips from different cameras and timestamps. As far as I know, clips should be saved here ONLY if I trigger the dashcam. I don't understand why the vehicle saves clips automatically, without detecting incidents or me asking to save it.

I have also noticed that all saved clips are starting when I get into the car and drive off. There are no clips with the car sitting idle on parking, it only saves clips when I am in the car, I drive off and on the road.
View attachment 1025118

Thank you in advance for your help.

Any chance you have different cam settings for easy entry versus your driver profile?

In which case when you're getting out it'd switch to easy entry (with camera off, so no clips when parked) and then when you get in switch to driver profile (with cam on) and only have footage from when you're in the car?

Upvote 0