Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Power Source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there seems to be a lot of historical issues around tapping the 12V system to hardwire the dashcam for always-on recording.

The alternative implementation that is often suggested is having a power bank sit inbetween the cigarette charger and the dashcam. Since the powerbank mAh are typically rated at 3.6V, assuming 20,000mAh rated powerbank, my conversion gets to me roughly 7 hours of run time for a dashcam drawing 5V 2A.

This is the part I am confused about - doesn't the battery also need roughly 7 hours of charging time to get full? It would seem to me that the powerbank idea is only as good as your ability to charge it up. Which doesn't seem to work in my use case of roughly 1.5-2 hours of daily driving.

So the questions are:
  1. Are there powerbank + cigarette charger combos that can recharge faster that the typical 5v 2.5A output of most ciggie chargers?
  2. Has the hardwire issue been solved?
  3. What other options are available? What has worked for you?

Have you noticed any material impact to overnight power drain?
I installed it as soon as I got the car, so wouldn't know what kind of power drain to expect without it. It loses 8–10km of range per night in the first few nights, then the car seems to go into a deeper sleep mode and the loss is much reduced. For example it would lose maybe just over 100km over 3 and a half weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger
I installed it as soon as I got the car, so wouldn't know what kind of power drain to expect without it. It loses 8–10km of range per night in the first few nights, then the car seems to go into a deeper sleep mode and the loss is much reduced. For example it would lose maybe just over 100km over 3 and a half weeks.
I think its more a case of losing more when the batteries are fuller. The loss is quite minimal once you get below:around 70%.