Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam stopped recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dashcam stopped recording anything. The icon is still there, but the red light doesn't come on. The last files on the drive are from yesterday. Anyone else having this problem?
I have a model S and have the same problem. The dashcam operates and records just fine for a couple hours drive and the stops recording. Like you, icon remains but red recording light disappears. I have tried three different thumb drives and even used 16, 32 and 64gb. All have the same result. I have tried reformatting at least ten times and works again but then stops recording once again. It seems that the promised 'loop' function does not work as it appears that once the thumdrive is full, it stops recording. Deleting all old recordings allows the dashcam to record once again. To say this is a pain, is a vast understatement. Not the function and operation one would expect from Tesla.

reformat and try again... if a reboot of the car doesnt solve it.

This will get you up and running again. See V9 Dashcam, have you made it work? for more suggestions and experiences.

tl;dr, always pause the recording by long pressing the dashcam icon whenever you leave the vehicle, even if just for a few minutes. Always pause when you leave. Tap the icon to resume recording as soon as you're ready to drive again and you should generally be ok.

If you get the X icon, then you may need to consider higher quality flash media or micro SD media designed for dashcam use.

New faster read write USB
7 straight days and counting without a single error or interruption in the recording.
And I don’t turn it off and on at start and of drive.
Not sure if the faster speed stick is what did it or not. I was on .39 and now on .40
But I think what did it was the new USB that is supposed to be better quality. It’s a 32GB made by PATRIOT.

Anyway just thought someone may want to know. So far so good.