Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debugging TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the time it doesn't seem to be working. No error messages. Stop the car and have the option to reformat, which works fine, or doesn't do anything.

Using a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB.

Checked using bad locks, no issues with the drive.

Any suggestions on how to figure out what is going wrong?

Same here. I've posted in other threads. I've got the stock thumb drive that now comes with the refresh and still having major problems. Always seems to disengage with the car. Each time I enter the car the icon isn't there. Unplug then plug back in it works!

On USB A fitted vehicles, I found that the plug/socket can become a source of issues - I use to be able to reproduce at will, the drive disappearing then returning, Solution, I securely affixed my card reader to the underside of the phone shelf. The other issues reported, is USB cables themselves becoming less reliable over time. I have seen this on another USB device.

I don't know enough about USB C fitted cars and/or refresh layout to comment.

Not that I have driven much recently, I have found that the dashcam Icon takes a few seconds to appear sometimes. But I cannot recall under what circumstances. This may have been introduced since the dashcam viewer release when the dashcam icon became multifunctional.

Mine is a refresh.
The usb 3 vs 2 gave me an idea. I took the drive and put it back on a machine in a USB 3 port and under high I/O it had frequent resets with I/O pausing for 10-15 seconds. In USB 2, no issues (but much slower)

Disabled UAS and back to USB 3 and working fine under high load, still showing reset messages in dmesg but no errors or pauses.

will retest with the Tesla usb later.

Most of the time it doesn't seem to be working. No error messages. Stop the car and have the option to reformat, which works fine, or doesn't do anything.

Using a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB.

Checked using bad locks, no issues with the drive.

Any suggestions on how to figure out what is going wrong?

Could it be lack of power, or dirty power? Being an SSD it is probably more sensitive to power problems than a normal USB stick.