Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to format USB For Dashcam/Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my MX, and I am getting an error trying to format my Sandisk 1TB Extreme portable SSD. Everything I try do it through the dashboard I get an error. I get it no matter if I choose to split the partition, or just do a full dashcam disk.

SSD is new, and works fine on my mac and windows machines. Also have already done full clean formats to both exFat and Fat32 but nothing seems to work. Any Ideas?

Or can I manually create the correct partitions and folders to just have it work when I plug it in?

Just took delivery of my MX, and I am getting an error trying to format my Sandisk 1TB Extreme portable SSD. Everything I try do it through the dashboard I get an error. I get it no matter if I choose to split the partition, or just do a full dashcam disk.

SSD is new, and works fine on my mac and windows machines. Also have already done full clean formats to both exFat and Fat32 but nothing seems to work. Any Ideas?

Or can I manually create the correct partitions and folders to just have it work when I plug it in?
Hi. I am also having similar issue. I purchased "SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD" but when I plug it my MSLR 2023, it does not recognize the drive for Sentry Mode recording. However, I can still see some of the MP3 files in the media. Any suggestion on what type of formatting I should have or how to get this working?

Hi. I am also having similar issue. I purchased "SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD" but when I plug it my MSLR 2023, it does not recognize the drive for Sentry Mode recording. However, I can still see some of the MP3 files in the media. Any suggestion on what type of formatting I should have or how to get this working?
Finally I got it to work in a little weird way. Whenever I try to format the SSD in the glove compartment USB it gives an error. for the sake of testing, I tried using a normal USB thumb drive and it also gave me same error. Finally I decided to remove the SSD and also the USB from the glove compartment and connect it to the middle console storage (where there are two USB-C's and it recognized it and I was able to format and use the drive. Then I put the SSD back into the glove compartment in the normal USB and it kept working. Just use the original fast cable that came with the SSD (with adapter if needed) so it wont give you low speed error.