Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decelerating over a bump causing Roadster to lurch forwards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2010 roadster has always had this issue and I'm not sure if it happens on ALL roadsters or just mine.
On a flat road, when I decelerate the regen braking kicks in and you see the Amp gauge swing to charging (OK, that's all pretty much as you would expect).
When you do the same thing but go over a bump in the road, the car lurches forward, the regen disengages, the Amp gauge swings to the right and the TC light flicks on for a second. The loss of regen braking makes it feel like the car just accelerated forward.
This doesn't sound like its meant to be this way but this is a "basket case" according to Elon Musk, so maybe it's just the way it is.

I've tried disabling TC but it has no effect.

I don’t have a roadster, but I did have a Prius before my model S and the Prius suffered from the same issue... regen would cut out when the car went over a bump or rough pavement as you were breaking. I think it’s a standard issue for cars with regen on the brake pedal because the wheel speed sensors start getting unusual readings, so the car stops doing regen to make sure the wheels don’t lock up and cause loss of control.

It can be a combination of things or even limited just one. Traction Control and ABS. Either can send your car lurching forward when the car hits bumps which causing one or multiple wheels to spin freely and the known calculations it uses to be off. I turn TC off when I drive spirited to prevent any surprises. ABS, well its just the nature of the beast. Just have to be aware of the roads your driving on. Any car with ABS will do the same. Thing is regen is very aggressive in the Roadster, so when TC shuts down it acts as if you're accelerating. Also the crappy stock brake pads and rotors don't help hence why I upgraded them early in the game.

Still driving it. I was able to find someone to service it for me and they had to jump through a few hoops to get parts. The downside is it takes weeks to get serviced so I try to get things done when on vacation.
I still wait for something catastrophic to happen to it and won't be able to fix it. But that's for another day

Was driving a friend's roadster recently and had the same thing happen when I hit a bump. It was downhill with heavy regen so the "regen reboot" caused a brief moment of panic but then all was well again.

Still driving it. I was able to find someone to service it for me and they had to jump through a few hoops to get parts. The downside is it takes weeks to get serviced so I try to get things done when on vacation.
I still wait for something catastrophic to happen to it and won't be able to fix it. But that's for another day

And as soon as I said it, it broke down ;p
DMC FW: PhaseC OverTemp fault

Luckily my service guy was able to fix it and did a full drive and PEM service at the same time.