Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dedicated wall charger to 14-50 worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 14-50 outlet in my garage, is it worth it to get a dedicated wall charger that can plug into it, such as the juicebox or grizzl-e, or should i just use the adapter? Am I going to see a major upgrade in charging? I'm only asking because we have a rebate program in southern california for wall chargers, so potentially I could get a "free" wall charger.

So I have a 14-50 outlet in my garage, is it worth it to get a dedicated wall charger that can plug into it, such as the juicebox or grizzl-e, or should i just use the adapter?
You certainly can just use the mobile charging cable with adapter; I've been doing it for over 7 years.
Am I going to see a major upgrade in charging?
Not major, but a little bit. The Tesla mobile cable can only pass through 32A max. Those other ones on a 50A circuit, could supply 40A if you choose one with that does handle that much.
I'm only asking because we have a rebate program in southern california for wall chargers, so potentially I could get a "free" wall charger.
Well, getting an extra charging device for nearly free would be a good thing, so you would have a bit of redundancy. I would recommend getting a wired one then to mount on the wall, rather than a plug-in one. It's very easy to remove the 14-50 outlet and attach a wall connector onto the ends of those same wires. (The white neutral wire would not be used, so just cap that one off with a wire nut or electrical tape.)

Well, getting an extra charging device for nearly free would be a good thing, so you would have a bit of redundancy. I would recommend getting a wired one then to mount on the wall, rather than a plug-in one. It's very easy to remove the 14-50 outlet and attach a wall connector onto the ends of those same wires. (The white neutral wire would not be used, so just cap that one off with a wire nut or electrical tape.)
I think this is what i will end up doing, keep my included cable in the car and get a juicebox or grizzle plug in. Thanks.

I think this is what i will end up doing, keep my included cable in the car and get a juicebox or grizzle plug in. Thanks.
The SAE J1772 adapter works well, enables you to charge using any Level1/Level2 EVSE such as the Juicebox or Grizll-E. The Tesla Wall Connector has a button on the charging connector that will open the Tesla vehicle's charge port. To open the charge port manually the Tesla vehicle needs to be awake, unlocked. To wake up the Tesla vehicle you can crack open a door and then you can press lightly on the charge port door with your hand to open the charge port. Once inside the Tesla Model Y you can open the charge port from the Tesla Model Y's Main screen or from the Charging screen. You can also use the Tesla phone app to open and close the charge port.

This is the setup I have, Juicebox in a 14-50 plug. Also got free from utility. It’s a good setup, keep the Tesla one in the car and you have flexibility to charge any EV. The button is way over rated, never need to wake the car up this way at home. If the car is asleep all night, as soon as you touch the cable to unplug in the morning the car wakes up and release is instant. When arriving home to plug it in, car is always awake because you just drove it. Just touch the door with a finger and it opens, insert J1772 with Tesla adapter and you are done. Never need to mess with screen or phone app. Ever. Been doing this 9 months and no need to worry about what to do when Ford delivers my lightening before Tesla delivers a cybertruck. I can charge either. For free this is a no brainer.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe